Out of touch

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
Key Keeper

Out of touch

Post by Key Keeper »

As the title says, Im so far out of computer hardware, I haven't a clue what I'm looking at these days. I have a dinosaur desktop in my garage that I set up so I can offload gopro footage from enduro and the tracks. Using gopro studio or sony vegas pro to edit the videos since gopro files are so large and I need to clip out some section. However, it literally takes about 4hours to re-code to avi after clipping, and then another 4 hours splice back together as mpeg4.

When I say this machine is old, the last windows update it received was in 2015 and it was old as dirt then! It has a 1.9ghz dual core amd clunker processor, 4gb of ram, a SSD for boot(win 7 ult), and 3 sata drives for storage. I do not game with this machine as its onboard video for now, and is maxed out at 4gb of ram (only 2 slots).

So, whats a good setup (atx) that wont break the bank so I can actually edit vids quicker? Instead of buying a used one off of CL, thought I might actually build one even though its been 8years since Ive built one. So need recommendations on vid card, ram, ssd, cpu, board, and power supply. I can reuse monitor and other stuff. Basically I need to get up to date type tower that's semi budget friendly.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: Out of touch

Post by Executioner »

I don't have any suggestions, as my system is also old - 8+ years, and I've been out of the hardware for a long time. I've only upgraded the video card and hard drive. I think that ERR may have some suggestions. He helped me with a new mobo I bought used. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61658
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

For editing you would want as many cores as you can afford. More cores = faster transcoding. Vegas and all modern editors and converters will use as many cores as you can throw at it.

I'd look at a AMD Ryzen CPU with at least 6 cores and multithreading, like in this build, if you have the budget
http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/701410-b ... o-editing/

Even 4 cores with multithreading would be good, but the more the merrier.

I use Vegas and Any Video Converter Pro on a last gen Core i7 I put together last year, which blew away my old 2010 Core i7 rig.

I do not use GPU acceleration because while it IS even faster than using the CPU, the quality is no where as good (at least on NVidia). It produced a lot of artifacts.

If I was building a rig now for video, I'd got with Ryzen myself.

Most important thing I would recommend is find a reputable review or recommendation from someone who built a rig with a specific CPU and mono combination, so you know all the parts work well together.

Good place to start is PCPer's leaderboard. I usually build a rig based on one of their parts lists because they've actually built it. You probably want to look at the budget build with a Ryzen 3 which is 4 cores multithreaded. You don't need to spend the money on the video card they recommend, just use the onboard.
https://www.pcper.com/hwlb

Only exception is I never buy enthusiast RAM. I always buy direct from Crucial.com and buy their fastest consumer memory that is matched to the mobo I'm using based on their online database (not their enthusiast class Ballistix memory). The enthusiast memory often DOESN'T work with the default timing, and you have to spend a lot of time tweaking the timing because that memory is meant for overclocking. I never overclock.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

This MB and CPU combo was pretty cheap for good performance. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it is great bang for your buck with video transocoding. I got it for my unraid box that runs plex, and it's just about as fast as my main gaming rig that has a i7 5820 (admittedly, not the best CPU intel made, but still decent)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VW ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XN ... UTF8&psc=1

RAM I tossed on it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0123 ... UTF8&psc=1

For Vid card, anything in your budget will do. As Bob said, stick to CPU processing for better quality. Hell, try the onboard for the MB first and see if you can live with it. Pretty much anything you buy today, even for a budget build, will be substantially faster than the old machine.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Genom wrote:This MB and CPU combo was pretty cheap for good performance. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it is great bang for your buck with video transocoding. I got it for my unraid box that runs plex, and it's just about as fast as my main gaming rig that has a i7 5820 (admittedly, not the best CPU intel made, but still decent)
You're running Plex? Hook me up with an invite and I'll share back your way as well. :)