PSA: "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue" on Windows October 2018 Update and How To Fix It

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
Err
Life Member

PSA: "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue" on Windows October 2018 Update and How To Fix It

Post by Err »

https://www.techpowerup.com/250415/psa- ... -to-fix-it

More 1809 issues. Basically, if you fresh install Windows 10 that includes the 1809 update, you can't install the driver from NVidia's website. Windows is handling drivers differently going forward (see article for details). Easiest fix is to install the GeForce Experience and update the drivers from within that application.

I've deferred the update but I'm worried that once I'm forced to apply it, my sound card drivers (Auzen PreLude 7.1) will finally break. I'm running a modified X-Fi driver as is. I know the card is ancient but I don't want a new sound card. I was planning on getting a MB with good onboard for my next build. The problem with that is that I can't be arsed to build a new PC.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: PSA: "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue" on Windows October 2018 Update and How To Fix It

Post by Genom »

Can always just grab a cheap USB DAC that will work with anything.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: PSA: "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue" on Windows October 2018 Update and How To Fix It

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm holding my gaming PC at 1803 until next year. That new driver model is going be a PITA until they work the bugs out.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm on 1709. Not sure if that's a bad or good thing. My shit works so I'm not in a rush to let it update/break anything.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I think 1709 is no longer getting security updates, that's why I'm on 1803.

----
EDIT

Nope, ends in April 2019. It's 1703 that's end of support.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... fact-sheet
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Genom wrote:Can always just grab a cheap USB DAC that will work with anything.
This is what I'll probably get if/when Windows 10 finally kills my soundcard drivers:

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Drago ... nfly+black

This DAC as reviewed very well on audiophile sites. I don't use my PC to record audio anymore. I have a Sony PCM-M10 handheld for that.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

SO what's the safest way to move to 1803? I don't want to get the latest self-destruct crap that MS put out.
FlyingPenguin wrote:I think 1709 is no longer getting security updates, that's why I'm on 1803.

----
EDIT

Nope, ends in April 2019. It's 1703 that's end of support.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... fact-sheet
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You need to find the 1803 installer disc and use it to upgrade. I need to see if I have the ISO or a DVD I can rip an ISO from. I ususlly use a USB installer.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like thus page kets you select the April 2018 ISO which is 1803:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... ndows10ISO

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I heard you can run SHUTUP10 and disable updates. I don't know if that works since I'm not running 10, but I heard it from another website that users were reporting issues and did not want to install 1809 update.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

The link is making me download the tool for ver 1809
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Under 'select edition' I see an option for the April 2018 update. That doesn't give you 1803?

I'll see if I have the iso, or if there is a way to make an iso from the USB installer.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

That link, redirects me to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

There's no Select Edition" option for me. Tried it with a Win10 PC and a Win7 one. Even diff browsers. All doing the same thing. SMH
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmm. There is for me on FireFox mobile. I'll look at it when I get home.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Interesting. On my cell, in Chrome, I get what you're mentioning. I copied the link.