Looking for a cheap video card

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
Executioner
Life Member

Looking for a cheap video card

Post by Executioner »

Well, my brother now wants me to build him a retro gaming rig with XP. I have everything, including a PNY Geforce 210 card, but the fan is noisy so I'm looking for something similar or better. Amazon has this for less than $50: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Exp ... TVYX92S3C5

Or if you have something that you want to get rid of and works, I may be interested in buying it, but it must include a fan/heatsink. I'm not a fan of the fanless video cards.

Actually, looking at my stock of inventory of cards, I have a NVIDA Geforce 660 with dual fans. According to this site, it mentions the power consumption at maximum 100% usage at 238 watts. My system has a 400 watt power supply with 17 amps on the +12 volt rail. Do you think this power supply and video combo would be okay with this video card? It does state it recommends a 450 watt power supply, but I know from past experience that watts is not the only piece that is important.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/a ... iew,7.html
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Looking for a cheap video card

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm going to guess that 400 watt PSU is fine ASSUMING you don't overclock anything, and you don't have any more peripherals than one HDD and a DVD. If you go with an SSD that's even better as it uses less power than a HDD.

Sure more watts are better - it's nice to have some head room - but it'll work.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Re: Looking for a cheap video card

Post by normalicy »

I've had 300w power supplies do wonderfully with good power supplies (of that generation), but I've also had 600w ones fail. You'll know either way though, it'll be unstable while gaming.