WOOHOO! EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING on it's way!

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

WOOHOO! EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING on it's way!

Post by FlyingPenguin »

EVGA emailed me today to say a card was available. Should be here in the next two days, but I haven't gotten the tracking confirmation yet.

I guess the gaming PC build gets shelved for a while.

I'm curious to see how much this improves performance in Red Dead online, and now I have an excuse to start playing Metro Exodus with RTX enabled. :)

:rockon:
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Nuby1Canuby

Re: WOOHOO! EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING on it's way!

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

Congratulations!! I thought you'd have to wait until January.

Here's some reviews of the EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra:

Tech Power Up:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga ... tw3-ultra/

The FPS Review:
https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/12/07 ... ng-review/

Video Reviews:

Hardware Unboxed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce3m0EXSB0U

Gamers Nexus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG_xJ_rC3WE
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Interesting results. On my 3440 x 1440 ultrawide monitor (5K):

Valley Benchmark, max eye candy: went from 62 to 115 fps

Killing Floor 2: went from 90 fps to 180. I increased all the visuals to max, and capped the FPS at 100 to keep it smooth. This is my main game and on custom maps with a lot of players and explosions or fire, my fps would sometimes briefly dip as low as 40, so this should help.

Flight Simulator was disappointing. I went from 30 fps to about 45. Dug deeply into this and I'm not the only one. The game seems to have serious optimization issues as those of us with high-end cards and decent CPUs are all seeing low framerates AND the CPU and GPU are nowhere near maxed out, so there's some kind of bottleneck.

GTA V Single Player: went from 80 to 110 fps. Online performance is worse than single player. That went from around 60 to 80. Capped fps at 60 to keep it smooth (the game detected the new card and increased my visuals so I had to reset everything back where it was to get a comparison).

Red Dead Online: Went from 30 to 75 on the highest 'balanced' quality setting on the quality/performance preset slider. (Wouldn't run at all initially. After I swapped the card, it gave me an error to the effect that it doesn't see a DX 12 card, or DX 12 is not installed. Figured out it was my old 1803 build of Windows - details below).
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Figured out the problem with Red Dead Online. Win10 Build 1803 does not properly support all features of DX12 and Vulcan/RTX. You need 1809 at a minimum. Dead Red is not RTX but apparently it wants to use DX12 features that aren't supported under 1803.

So I grudgingly upgraded the gaming PC to build 1909 and it fired right up without an error. Nice performance boost. Dead Red has a slider to adjust performance vs quality with presets (you can still customize them). It's better than low, medium, high and ultra. There's 21 levels. For my tests on both the 1080 and the 3080 I set it to the highest "balanced" which is level 14 on the slider. That sets a lot of things to "Ultra".

On this setting on the GTX 1080 I was getting 30 fps. On the RTX 3080 I'm getting 75. There's no ray tracing in this game.

I did fire up Quake 2 RTX and that ran fine. The only real RTX game I have is Metro Exodus, and I'll give that a whirl later in the week.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Photos comparing the size of this beast to my old GTX 1080, which wasn't exactly small itself.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

3 x 8 pin connectors is insane. I'm glad you found a card.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The crazy thing is I just installed the old GTX 1080 in my workstation. The even older GTX 760 it's replacing had an 8 and a 6 pin for power, while the much more powerful GTX 1080 only has a single 8 pin.

BTW: WOOT again! The GTX 1080 HALVED my H264 video encoding time compared to the GTX 760.

I did a test transcoding (I use Any Video Converter Ultimate with NVidia H264 GPU encoding enabled), before and after, of a 30 minute MKV video that's typical of what I convert to H264 MP4. It took 1 min 7 sec on the GTX 1080, compared to 2 min 3 sec on the GTX 760.

That'll save sometime during batch transcodes.