Nvidia Limits RTX 3060 Hash Rate, Unveils New 'Cryptocurrency Mining Processor' Line of GPUs

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Nvidia Limits RTX 3060 Hash Rate, Unveils New 'Cryptocurrency Mining Processor' Line of GPUs

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Nvidia Limits RTX 3060 Hash Rate, Unveils New 'Cryptocurrency Mining Processor' Line of GPUs

Post by Losbot »

There will still be shortages of video cards.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Nvidia Limits RTX 3060 Hash Rate, Unveils New 'Cryptocurrency Mining Processor' Line of GPUs

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like they may be doing this across the board:

Rumor: Nvidia to End of Life current 3000 series cards, replace with anti mining equivalents
https://www.resetera.com/threads/nvidia ... ts.381129/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Also, looks like the hash limiter in the 3060 will be in VBIOS, not the driver.

Nvidia: RTX 3060 vBIOS Prevents Removal of Hash Rate Limiter
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidi ... te-rtx3060

Ingenious people might still find a workaround, but we'll see. The article points out that the firmware is encrypted, so it would take some major work to hack the BIOS.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

The miners will still buy the cards. Even having a card that's not as good is still acceptable when you have hundreds of them. Like you said, they'll find a work around. Bios editors are readily available and drivers are easy enough to modify.
Err
Life Member

GeForce RTX 3060 Already Hits Second-Hand Market as NVIDIA Sours the Milk for Miners

Post by Err »

https://www.techpowerup.com/278822/gefo ... for-miners
NVIDIA's yet-to-be-released GeForce RTX 3060 "Ampere" graphics card has already hit the second-hand graphics card market, as those with early access to RTX 3060 inventory have begun re-selling it. Belarusian tech marketplace Onliner listed these GIGABYTE RTX 3060 Eagle OC custom-design graphics cards for 2,800 BYN (USD $1,080) a piece, from a lot of three cards.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Linus comes right out and says it...

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Err
Life Member

GeForce RTX 3060 hashrate restriction bypassed by miners?

Post by Err »

Well, that didn't take long: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gefor ... iners.html

The caveat is that they're not mining Etherium. Apparently, that was the only cryto that NVidia had gimped the has rate.