TV's for PC monitor/gaming

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: TV's for PC monitor/gaming

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Much as I could have used one over the years, and wanted one, never bought an oscilloscope. Used them a fair amount on the job over the years though. I think I've forgotten more about how to use one than remember now.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Well I'm retired now so I have plenty of time to learn more about them. I have 5 cassette decks now and 4 stereo receivers that I would like to fix myself. Bummer schools don't offer electronic classes. Last time I took one was back in High School - 1972. The teacher was an old guy that wanted us to learn vacuum tubes and not transistors. We had a text book that discussed transistors etc. but he did not use it that much. I should have kept the book, but when I moved out of Southern CA I gave it to the local library.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Got the "refurbished" monitor today. Holy Crap! What a difference. Refresh is ~160Hz. Did not come with a manual, but I found one on line. It also had 2 screws that are used to mount the stand, but I could not fine them in the box. Luckily, I had some spare 4mm screws that I used. When cleaning up the mess, I found the 2 screws on the carpet. They must have been just laying in the box. I'm going to keep the box for a few weeks to make sure it still works.
There were some monitor drivers where I downloaded the manual, but I don't really think I need them. They are dated 2017 from within the zip file. The monitor runs at 1920x1080 which is fine for me. It will make reading my checkbook via Quicken a lot easier on the eyes. So thanks Bob for that recommendation on the monitor.

On another side note, I bought a new 65" Samsung TV to replace my LG 55" that had some burn in images. The TV is great but it did not work very well with my LG soundbar. I could not get the sound to sync with the TV. I also had to manually turn the soundbar off. So I did some comparisons for a Samsung soundbar and saw one on Amazon for $179. Since I have a Best Buy only 2 miles from my house, I also looked there and they wanted $279 for the same soundbar. So I went in to Best Buy and they matched the price from Amazon. After I paid, they game me a $100 Best Buy gift card that does not expire.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Cool. Enjoy!
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Post a photo of that big, bad boy on your desk. I'd like to see that.

Yeah, don't see any benefit to installing drivers. Windows can get all the configuration info directly from the monitor via DisplayPort. If you can actually set Windows to 165 Hz refresh, then everything is working fine.

My biggest complaint about HDTVs is soundbar compatibility. There should be some kind of universal standard so the TV can tell the soundbar to wake up, even if they're different brands. I tend to stick with Samsung because if you use a Samsung TV with a Samsung soundbar, they're very well integrated, to the point that most modern TVs can actually read the volume setting from the soundbar.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Fits better than I thought it would. With that big ass frame around the old one, it doesn't look much bigger.