JayzTwoCents: My New World Testing revealed something unexpected... This NEEDS to be fixed!!!

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

JayzTwoCents: My New World Testing revealed something unexpected... This NEEDS to be fixed!!!

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I think this is an EVGA thing in general. I noticed this same behavior in some game (can't remember which) where my EVGA FTW3 3080 would go WAY higher on power draw than it should, with FPS in the 300s while in the menu. My first clue was the wailing of the fans, because my card normally runs the fans below max even on the heaviest load.

This was before the New World fiasco, and it scared me so much that I enabled NVidia's FPS limiter, and capped the card at 120 FPS, which works great on all my games (my monitor's max refresh is 100Hz so anything over 120 FPS is just a waste of power anyway).

I think Jay is right. It's some sloppy coding in the game, that's exposing a flaw in some cards, and if that card is an ultra class card that can draw more than 400watts, and the game is making it's internal limiter fluctuate between 250 and 350+ watts while in the menu, it's going to hammer those components like a water hammer effect hammers plumbing.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "