Newegg has so many extra GPUs that it’s bundling them with free monitors

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Newegg has so many extra GPUs that it’s bundling them with free monitors

Post by FlyingPenguin »

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/14/2335 ... -deal-sale
Right now, you can get a free 24-inch 1080p gaming monitor when you buy an RTX 3060 for $399.99. Another solid offer bundles a free 27-inch curved QHD monitor with a purchase of an RTX 3070 for $599.99. A deal like this is tough to beat; even if you don’t need the monitor, you’re still getting a 30-series graphics card at close to retail price, which was damn near impossible a year ago. This is likely a response to the leak of 40-series RTX cards that have been making their rounds on the internet.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Re: Newegg has so many extra GPUs that it’s bundling them with free monitors

Post by Pugsley »

I have been out of the PC market for too long.. my main PC is a bulldozer 6 core... any way I have been thinking of building a new rig again but have no ideal whats good as far as video cars or M1 or M2 whaver SSDs. The rest I can still pick out and hasnt changed much. I could not tell you what my current card is but at the time it was a like half to a full notch under top for the time and was a bit on the expensive side compared to value cards... and I think it was a good choice as its still kicking today... but now its starting to show its age and what not. Hell still using my original Dell 19" monitor along with my newer 24" dell... but both are on deaths door step.

Thanks for any advice about pitfalls or other things to avoid.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Price range?

If you're on a budget, the budget build I posted here will do nicely and set you back around $700 (less $140 for the OS if you have ANY spare Windows 7 key laying around - even one from an OEM PC):
viewtopic.php?f=3&p=377162

And an RTX 3060 for $400 (plus a free monitor if you order from Newegg):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDea ... FC-RAN-COM

All modern mobos have an onboard slot for an M.2 SSDs. That's standard now. High end mobos have two M.2 slots for two drives. M.2 SSDs are wicked fast compared to SATA SSDs because they are directly on the PCI-E bus. You can still have secondary SATA drives connected as well.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Ill spend a bit more now... PCs seem to have stagnated... as mine is still ok and was built a long time ago... it not like in the past where every 2 years you needed to rebuild. So ill go above budget for now. I have no set budget for this... built a 4K media PC about a year ago and it wasn't that salty, but it does not do gaming and uses onboard video.

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: looked at the video card. All HDMI outputs. Im still using DVI. Have to check if my monitors even support that so I can use them as secondary.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's HDMI and DisplayPort now. They all have displayport, but the jack looks similar to HDMI.

Trust me, you want to use display port over HDMI for gaming. All gaming monitors have DisplayPort and usually a second HDMI port.

If you want to use your old monitor for a while, they do make DisplayPort to DVI adapters. I use one for a secondary monitor.

Good starting point for a DIY gaming PC is PCper.com's Leaderboard:
https://pcper.com/hardware-leaderboard/

If you have the budget, and want more high end, I still think best bang for the buck right now is Ryzen 7 either the 5600X or the 5800X, and an x570 chips etc mobo. The 5950X CPU is overkill and pricey unless, like me, you're doing some CPU intensive things (I went with the 5950X on my workstation).

You can also refer to the thread I made earlier in the year when I built my 5800X gaming system:
https://pcabusers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64954

If you want to step up the GPU from that RTX3060, consider the RTX 3070 OR ti version,.