GPU Sagging Could Break VRAM on 20- and 30-Series Models: Report.

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

GPU Sagging Could Break VRAM on 20- and 30-Series Models: Report.

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I would imagine this is less likely on cards with stiff backplates, like my EVGAs, but I'm going to order a couple of GPU braces from Amazon just in case.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-2 ... om-gpu-sag
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: GPU Sagging Could Break VRAM on 20- and 30-Series Models: Report.

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, ordered some of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CDDSWKR

I had taken great care, when I originally installed my 3080 and 3070Ti a couple of years ago, to use Jayz2Cents tip to level them by using the bracket screws, and I remember they were fairly level back then.

I was shocked to find both card had sagged considerably since then, and it's obvious that it's the backplate and circuit board that are bending (and these are high end EVGA boards with pretty stiff backplates). So yeah, I can see how over time, the strain and expansion/contraction due to heat cycles, could cause the solder joints to crack, if the board is bending substantially.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: GPU Sagging Could Break VRAM on 20- and 30-Series Models: Report.

Post by Losbot »

Aww, crap. Thanks for the heads up. Ordering a bracket as well. I have the same card as you.
------------------------------------------