Problems with my GeForce 256

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
Cheway

Post by Cheway »

I bought a GeForce 256 a couple of months ago, and threw it on my FIC motherboard. After a few minutes of running without a problem in 2D, the computer suddenly went dead, and all attempts to revive it failed. It was later I learned that the motherboard was fried. Could the GeForce have caused this? And, if so, could the GeForce have been damaged in the process? The GeForce is getting, at best, 25 fps in Quake III and 40 in Unreal Tournament - absolutely pathetic scores for a card of this caliber. Is there something wrong with the card?
Solstice
Golden Member

Post by Solstice »

I had a friend with a similar problem. The FIC motherboard was having trouble supplying the AGP bus to the Geforce card with enough power. After about an hour his motherboard died. The video card should be protected from power problems with either diodes or voltage regulators so it should be ok.

[Edited by Solstice on 12-05-2000 at 03:40 PM]
pidge

Post by pidge »

Make sure you are running the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers. That will solve a lot of the performance issues. Which FIC mobo do you have and with which CPU?
<embed src="http://www.chhimi.com/Movie1.swf" quality=high width="159" height="159">
Cheway

Post by Cheway »

A better question would be, which FIC motherboard DID I have?! The FIC fried like a sauteed chicken breast after running with the GeForce for a short time. It's been trashed. I can't remember the model number, but the CPU was an AMD K6-2 366 overclocked to 400.
Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

Most likely the 503.

uh pidge, 4 in 1 drivers ain't gonna help any more... the phrase TOAST comes to mind.
pidge

Post by pidge »

Sorry. You don't know how tired I am. Been staring at a screen for too long. Ummm..yeah. Those boards sucked, or I mean, their AGP controllers did. Probably couldn't handle the stress.
<embed src="http://www.chhimi.com/Movie1.swf" quality=high width="159" height="159">
Reg Kmet
Golden Member

Post by Reg Kmet »

the thing still takes a crap on your P3, did it not?
Cheway

Post by Cheway »

Hey, Reggie. Yep, the GeForce still takes a crap on my P3. 25 fps in Quake III at its best, with all the latest drivers and all that other crap installed and functioning. I'd imagine it's a problem with the card itself.