Old 2013 Wifi Nexus 7

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Old 2013 Wifi Nexus 7

Post by Genom »

So I loaned my wife my ipad mini and of course, it's never made it's way back to me. I needed something to play videos while on the stationary bike and found my old Nexus 7 in a drawer. Went looking and found Lineage OS has unoficial builds for Pie for this device that just disable NFC (Dont care) and so I figured why the hell not. Last OS from google was a semi busted 6.0 anyways.

Works surprisingly well! I did have to re partition the storage but there is a sideloadable package to handle all that. Then flashed the OS and a nano gapps package, and it's up and running and so far has been a great little plex device. I mean, don't expect miracles out of a 6 year old budget tablet, but it's smooth, videos play back well off the server, speakers are still pretty decent, etc.

Hell, I am surprised the battery still holds a charge after sitting in my drawer for 2-3 years.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Old 2013 Wifi Nexus 7

Post by Losbot »

I just fired up my old Nexus 7 (was going to use it for my new drone) but the wife gave me a new iPad Mini for Father's Day, to use.

If you don't mind, could you share some links to what you did? The latest OS for that Nexus isn't terribly great.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: Old 2013 Wifi Nexus 7

Post by Genom »

I used this post:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus- ... 0-t3903286

Basically, make sure you have adb and fastboot. Restart the tablet to bootloader, load the TWRP version in the partitioner post:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus- ... n-t3844386

Boot into TWRP, sideloaded the repartition tool. Followed it's directions. Re-wiped the entire device from within TWRP. Then sideloaded LineageOS, sideloaded the lineageos SU app, sideloaded the open gapps nano package, rebooted, and gave it a while to load and settle. It did take 10 minutes or so for the first bootup, but otherwise, it's been pretty good.

You can skip the gapps, and as an alternative in the F-driod store has a app called Yalp that will install off the play store without the extra google infrastructure.

Basically just followed the post instructions other than I didnt copy the files to local flash first, just used the adb sideload functionality