Fairphone 3. A phone with a replaceable battery & designed to last

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Fairphone 3. A phone with a replaceable battery & designed to last

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, this is interesting. A phone designed to last more than 3 years, with a replaceable battery and an earphone jack. Maybe not for me, but I'd consider this as my wife's next phone. She hates change. Her old Moto X Pure is on it's 4th year and second battery.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/27/fai ... -hands-on/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Fairphone 3. A phone with a replaceable battery & designed to last

Post by Losbot »

Interesting.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

my wife had one cell she refused to give up - it was so old sprint made her upgrade because it was only analog. she still complains about that old phone she had a love affair with it. she loved the way it fit in her hand .it even had a pull out antenna and didn't fold or flip in anyway. i don't remember but
think it was a sanyo cell phone . think it was like this one in picture - Image
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I still have my old Samsung S5 that has a easy to access replaceable battery. Takes less than a minute to get it out. The problem is finding a good replacement battery that will last more that 3 months.
The S9 that I have now will probably be my last Samsung phone. I don't like all the forced apps that they make you use, and you can't uninstall them. I heard that Apple is now making their phones where the battery can't be replaced, forcing existing users to buy a new phone.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

iFixit tears down the newest Fairphone—how repairable is it?
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/09 ... ble-is-it/

10 out of 10.

Sadly, I only just found out in this article, it's not for sale in the US... at least for now. :(
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I just retired my S5 partly due to lack of replacement batteries, partly due to wanting better speed. Got an UMIDIGI F1 Play. It's an excellent phone in almost every way. Very fast, plenty of memory, clear screen, huger battery (lasts me about 2-1/2 days on a charge). Sadly, the two negatives kinda kill me. Camera is HORRIBLE in low light situations and over-saturated in good light. And it's not water resistant at all. But it's so cheap, I'm dealing with it. If, however, I could get a phone for under $300 that fixes those two problems, I'm all over it. I don't mind opening a case to replace a battery personally. That is unless it's glued shut.