Symantec Releases Free Security Software for Android

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Symantec Releases Free Security Software for Android

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Only really needed if you're rooted. I'll stick with apps that are well known & hopefully that'll cover me. Last thing I need is another app running on my phone.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Actually rooted or not, you can get a virus on Android. It's wide open and not sandboxed like iOS, and no one is vetting apps.

To keep it from bogging down the OS I disable everything but the anti-malware, and set it to scan manually instead of automatic.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

It is sandboxed. The only real wide open part is that the apps aren't checked like in iOS. As of yet, the only working viruses on Android I'm aware of require debugging to be turned on to even work (off by default) or a rooted phone (still with debugging on). The couple that don't need it are very limited in what they can do (can't steal info) unless there's been something new released that I'm unaware of. Nothing near what a typical Windows virus can anyhow.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well if you permit an app to be installed, and it doesn't do what it claims to do and instead has malicious intent, you're done:

Android Market: thousands affected as 26 new malware apps discovered:
http://www.neowin.net/news/android-mark ... discovered

New Android malware records phone conversations
http://www.neowin.net/news/new-android- ... versations

Yes it involves user interaction (allowing an app to be installed) but the problem is no one is vetting these apps. It's the wild west on the Android market place.

I install very few apps, and only those that have a lot of reviews from respectable authorities.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

To me, you have to be dumb or ignorant to obtain those viruses. They tell you right there what they are going to do with your phone. If you say yes to a request to "Record audio, intercept outgoing calls, read phone state & identify, prevent phone from sleeping", then you are obviously OK with your privacy being breached.