Nexus 10 / 7 USB not working with Windows 8.1

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Nexus 10 / 7 USB not working with Windows 8.1

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've had no problem connecting my wife's Nexus 10 tablet to my Win7 workstation at home to transfer video files. However, no luck now while I'm on the road trying to connect it to my Win8.1 laptop. It just shows up in Device Manager as an "Acer ADB Device" but you can't open it.

Apparently this is a known issue. No idea how a non-techie is supposed to figure this out. The workaround follows (according to posts I found, this also applies to the Nexus 7 and possibly the Nexus phones as well):

1. In Nexus 7 or 10, make sure usb debugging mode is enabled:
a. Go to Settings -> About -> tap Build number 7 times to enable developer mode
b. Go to Settings -> Developer Options (newly appeared menu) and enable USB Debugging
c. Now go into Settings -> Storage and hit menu button (3 dots) -> USB Connection and ensure USB mode is set to MTP.
2. Connect tablet to PC.
3. In windows device manager find ADB Driver (May be called Acer ADB Driver) then drill down. Right click and select "update driver software".
4. Select "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."
6. With "show compatible hardware" checkbox ticked, two drivers should be shown.
(a) Android ADB Interface. and (b) MTP User Device or Composite USB device.
7. Select (b) above and click Next. Unplug tablet & plug back in.
8. Device should now appear.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

I've gotten used to using AirDroid to transfer files like pictures/videos on/off my Andoid devices. I think the only time I actually plug it in is if I need to sync my music/copy new songs over.
[SIZE="1"]When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.[/size]