Google Pixel

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
psypher
Golden Member

Google Pixel

Post by psypher »

So anyone here looking at getting the new Google Pixel phone? We've currently decided to stick with Verizon, we upgraded to the 12GB plan + 2GB per phone for life extra. I need a new phone so that I can pass my old Nexus 5X down and get our son moved from Metro PCS to Verizon. Our bill went from $150 down to $110 and adding our son will be $20, vs $30 that we pay with Metro. Google is offering 0% financing, so about $28/month, so I might take that offer. Not really sure how much Google would be discounting the phone at all this year.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Google Pixel

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I considered waiting for a Pixel, but I didn't want to deal with a phone that used USB-C for charging and have to worry about dongles and different chargers. It was bad enough during the mini USB to micro USB transition.

I decided to buy a couple of Moto-X Pures three weeks ago and I've been very happy with them. I love the Turbo Charge mode that can give you a half charge from nearly dead in 15 minutes (after half, the charge rate is normal so as not to damage the batteries). Bought extra turbo chargers for the car (the fast chargers all still work with any micro USB device - they only go into turbo mode on compatible Moto phones).

The Pure is stock Android without any of the crapware. It also has an SD card slot unlike the Pixel.

Nice phone with a gorgeous bright screen, and since it's been around a year it's a rock stable design with no issues.

Great phone for the price I ordered mine through Amazon (direct from Amazon, not a reseller) unlocked without a SIM card for $379 and just moved the SIM cards from the old phones to the new ones with no issues. It's a hell of a lot of phone for the money. No fingerprint reader but I don't want one. Just another failure point and I have no problems with a 4 digit PIN, although it also has the face recognition baked in but I haven't tried it.

No Verizon crapware so now my phone doesn't have to spend 2 minutes talking to the Verizon mothership just to get permission to use Wifi Tethering.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:I considered waiting for a Pixel, but I didn't want to deal with a phone that used USB-C for charging and have to worry about dongles and different chargers. It was bad enough during the mini USB to micro USB transition.

I decided to buy a couple of Moto-X Pures three weeks ago and I've been very happy with them. I love the Turbo Charge mode that can give you a half charge from nearly dead in 15 minutes (after half, the charge rate is normal so as not to damage the batteries). Bought extra turbo chargers for the car (the fast chargers all still work with any micro USB device - they only go into turbo mode on compatible Moto phones).

The Pure is stock Android without any of the crapware. It also has an SD card slot unlike the Pixel.

Nice phone with a gorgeous bright screen, and since it's been around a year it's a rock stable design with no issues.

Great phone for the price I ordered mine through Amazon (direct from Amazon, not a reseller) unlocked without a SIM card for $379 and just moved the SIM cards from the old phones to the new ones with no issues. It's a hell of a lot of phone for the money. No fingerprint reader but I don't want one. Just another failure point and I have no problems with a 4 digit PIN, although it also has the face recognition baked in but I haven't tried it.

No Verizon crapware so now my phone doesn't have to spend 2 minutes talking to the Verizon mothership just to get permission to use Wifi Tethering.

I thought USB-C would be an issue for me, all my chargers are USB-A (home, car, etc...) so all I had to do was swap out USB-A to USB-A cables with USB-A to USB-C cables. Not really a big deal.

Fingerprint reader is such a big convenience feature, especially for a device like a phone that you use a lot. I have fingerprint scanners for my desktop and laptop, so I already knew how much better a phone would be with it. As for failure point, it's not really a failure point. You can always fallback to pin, patterns, etc... (like if your finger is wet). Plus the technology has been out so long, it's not really something to worry about. Only think new is that they put it on a phone.

I definitely have an issue with not having an SD card and space has been an issue, but it's more about monitoring how I use it.

As for the crapware, yea I don't get Verizon phones. My Nexus 5X was straight from Google, so will my Pixel if I get it. The Verizon crapware is only if you BUY the locked phone from Verizon, not the unlocked phone from the Google store.

One of the big reasons I stick with Google is that I like their release schedule. I hate how non-Google devices are slow to roll out updates if they even roll any out.

I'll take a look at the Pure, but not having a finger print scanner is huge for me.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I love my Nexus 5x and I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on the new Pixel, then give the wife my 5x. The fingerprint reader is very handy for quickly getting into the phone and I prefer the pattern option over the 4 digit pin.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Losbot wrote:I love my Nexus 5x and I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on the new Pixel, then give the wife my 5x. The fingerprint reader is very handy for quickly getting into the phone and I prefer the pattern option over the 4 digit pin.
I've been having second thoughts. I think I'm going to stick with my Nexus 5X for a while, it's just difficult to justify spending $650 on a new phone when my Nexus 5X is barely a year old and still working great (for the most part). My wife needs a new phone, so I'll probably pick up a new S5 for $200. She's currently on an S4 that's been used over 2 years. If the Pixel ever drops to maybe $300-$400 new I might pick one up.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Pulled the trigger on the Pixel today. Should have it tomorrow and I'll transfer from the 5x. Then once I'm happy, the wife will get the 5x and she can retire the Nexus 5 she's using.
Looking forward to playing with it. ::
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

ok cool, keep us updated. I'm still on my Nexus 5X
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

So the Pixel does not come with all the bloat software right?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Correct. Pure Android from Google. No bloat/crapware.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

And updates straight from Google, not your carrier.

I was tempted to get a Pixel, but I didn't want to deal with the new USB-C charge jack, so I went with the Moto-x Gen3 which is pretty close to pure Android.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

OMG, so my 5X just DIED on me. It's been locking up a couple times this past week or so, but today it finally croaked. It's stuck on an endless reboot cycle not getting past the Google logo. I can't be without a phone, so looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on a Pixel. Unfortunately I have to go locally and buy it from Verizon, Google store is out of stock. I read a bit and it seems it only has like 3 bloatware apps which can all be removed and updates flow regularly, even with Verizon's approve requirement.

Anyone happen to have any insight on Verizon's Pixel?
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I don't have any insight on the Pixel on Verizon, but I am on Verizon and my next phone will probably be a Pixel. Currently using a Samsung S5 that works great.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Just got back from the Verizon store...so this is the first time I see them in person. What a let down the Pixel is. It's smaller than the 5X :( So, now I'm looking at the Pixel XL. The size isn't that much more than the 5X. The sales guy tells me they are out and on back order. It could take several months to get, but they have the regular Pixel so I reluctantly get it. I get home, and find out the Pixel XL is available and they can ship it out on Monday and get it by Wed. So now when I get the Pixel XL, I have to deal with returning the regular one and fight to get credit for the activation fee and the restocking fee.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Take a good long look at the Moto-X Pure. No fingerprint reader, but who cares? Rock solid phone. I'm loving it. Pretty pure Android. There;'s just a couple of Moto apps but you can disable them. I bought mine unlocked from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... pure+64+GB

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Yeah, still rocking my pure. Wish the security updates would be more consistent, but otherwise the phone works great, and was dirt cheap so I dont bother baby'ing it.