how old your cell phone?

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

how old your cell phone?

Post by reno »

with today pricing of cell phone's new . cell contract phones being leased . if you out right own your cell phone how old is your current unit.
I can say mine 3 years now and did just spend $80 for a replacement charging port for it . $14 for a new replacement otter case off amazon.
cost about the same as doing warranty for the 3 time from Otter. I'm ruff on cases and less hassle.

just don't get someone spending a Grand for a new I phone or Samsung Galaxy Cell phone for bragging rights and it be out dated a year later !
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: how old your cell phone?

Post by Genom »

I tend to buy a model when its successor comes out as prices drop a lot at that point. I typically keep a phone for 2 year or so, and always buy outright unlocked vs carrier lease models. My daily driver is a S7 edge, gave my moto x to the wife when her Iphone 4S battery just finally died and it wasnt worth 50 bucks to replace to me, and have a Nexus 5 that I liked a lot, but the screen kept cracking so it's just a emergency phone I take if I am like, going to a concert or big show that I dont care if it gets broken/lost.

Theres 3-4 old iphones and an Atrix in a drawers somewhere.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I've got a 3 or 4 year old Iphone. Of course, all the improvements to IOS have made it flaky - sometimes I need to turn on the camera etc., before it will show recent calls. Wish I still had the blackberry I gave to one of my kids a long time ago. I had a good keyboard, battery and antenna. I have no use for most of the modern stuff.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Still have my Samsung S5. Don't plan to upgrade unless the phone no longer works.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I like to buy a year old model that's well proven. I bought my three Moto-X Pures in 2016 but the phone was released in 2015. Will probably use them well into 2019 as long as the batteries hold up.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Oh, forgot my S3 that still works to this day. Should probably buy a new battery for it to have just in case I need a basic device.

That device is the only reason I still buy a Samsung occasionally. Never put the S3 in a case, the back cover is cracked and loose, but thing never once gave issues in 4 years of hard use.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I still have my S5. It's going to suck when it's time to replace it because I prefer WiFi calling to work. Cell service can be very spotty at home. AT&T generally won't turn it on unless you buy a AT&T branded phone.

I hate the looks of the majority of new phones. Even though I'm in the minority, I like a flat screen with non-rounded corners. The new Sony's are my ideal phone: https://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/ ... 1-compact/ but they don't work with AT&T's WiFi calling. If I absolutely needed a new phone today (like emergency I broke my phone), I'd probably get the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active. The screen is flat even though it has rounded corners. It has a 3.5 jack and a 4,000 mAh battery. I hate the price tag though. $800+ is a lot for a phone even though I'd keep it for several years. Hopefully AT&T will enable WiFi calling on the Sony's by the time I need a new phone. Either that or I may just say the heck with WiFi calling or see if Verizon decided to start covering my area.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Running an S5 and my daughter is running my old S3. Love them both.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Got the new Pixel 2.
Damn nice phone. First run after charging it, I got 3 days of use before the battery died. Impressive.
Great camera and super fast. Plus it's nice to have pure Android and constant updates.
Gave the wife my Pixel 1 so she's happy as fuck.