Bought a Pixel 2 XL

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Bought a Pixel 2 XL

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I looked long and hard at the Galaxy 8 & 9 plus (crappy, tinny, bottom edge speaker, non standard android UI, the usual Samsung crapware). Also looked at the LG V30 (nice phone, nearly pure Android, but same crappy speaker as Samsung). Both have headphone jacks (which I will dearly miss) and wireless charging, but couldn't live with the speakers.

I use the phone speakers lot; listening to news, hands free calling. Loved the big sound from the front facing speakers on my old MotoX Pure, and the Pixel 2 uses the same speakers and are even louder.

Only downside is lack of headphone jack (came with one audio dongle and more on order) and not thrilled with the way the zoom works on the camera, but I'll get used to it.

Phone came with a data transfer adapter that lets you connect your old phone and directly transfer files and settings. Worked surprisingly well. My apps all came over, some kept settings and data, wallpaper and desktop layouts came over, system settings, and all my media files.

Nice looking phone. Very bright display you can see in bright sunlight. Nice to have the pure Android 8, and it'll be nice getting timely security updates from Google.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Re: Bought a Pixel 2 XL

Post by psypher »

Yea, I have a the Pixel XL and love it. Great phone. I was tempted to jump on the $300 off offers.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I may live to regret it, but I took the $300 off offer. I would have preferred to buy it outright, but it seemed silly to pay the extra money. It's not a contract, but they make you pay it off over 24 months. Seems like a Wells Fargo scam to me: They charge me the full price divided by 24 each month, then on the same bill they give me back a credit for 300 divided by 24. I can still pay it off anytime and lose the remaining discount. I went ahead and got the 128GB version since it doesn't have an SD slot.

I usually don't buy a phone from the carrier, but the Pixel is treated like an iPhone by Verizon: Google won't allow them to load it with crapware, and I was in a hurry. My old phone developed a dead band in the touch screen.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I suspect that when you dig into the finest print on the 24 month contract, it is set up similar to a lease so that they can depreciate the phone until it is paid off.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

So is the Pixel the only one without all that crapware? Even on my s5, I have some from Samsung, but I was able to only force them to stop. No option to remove. I've had the phone now for 4 years. Don't plan on getting a new one yet.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Samsung put a ton of their own crap on their phones, and they re-skin everything. It's what I hate about Samsung. Google branded phones like the Pixel come with nothing but plain vanilla Android.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

To be honest, Samsung isnt too bad if you get a third party app to disable bloatware. Yes, it's an extra 5 bucks, but it's pretty painless overall, and the reskin isnt an issue with a better launcher.

Not to say I wouldnt prefer a device with none of the garbage, but eh,.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Welcome to the club! I love my Pixel 2. Great phone. Amazing photos from that camera. Very fast, too.
Enjoy!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well I love the phone but my only complaint is how fragile it is. I haven't cracked a screen in years, probably only twice in my entire life.

One week in and the screen cracked - not from dropping it, but from BENDING the phone. I tend carry my phone in a back pocket. That was okay when I wore regular slacks, but when I wore my jeans the other day, it cracked when I sat on it.

Now to be fair, I think what made it worse is that I had a Pop-socket stuck on the back of it and that acted as a crowbar. So no more pop socket, and I'm going to make a concerted effort to carry the phone in a side pocket.

Anyway, I do have a replacement plan but still had to eat the deductible. Setup the replacement last night.

Never had a problem carrying my old MotoX Pure in my back pocket.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I always have my Pixel 2 (not XL) in my back pocket. I've sat on it numerous times in the car. No issues.
Maybe the larger screen is the issue. Do you have any sort of case on it?

I use this one on my phone but. Don't know if they have an XL version. It's a minimalist design and I like it. Gives me a better grip on the phone too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SYJLCM/
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have a good transparent Otterbox Symmetry on it.

I really think the tight jeans pocket bent it around the pop socket, and denim has little give compared to my usual work and dress slacks. And yeah, XL is longer so more leverage.

I did read some forum posts about the phone being rather fragile.

As I said I did remove the pop socket. Pity though, I do like it.

When I wear shorts I wear Dickies denim shorts with the special phone pocket low on the leg. Love that pocket.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Well, I think I'm ready to upgrade my phone. My battery simply does not hold well any more. Battery is down 50% by 2pm with minimal use. I checked the battery icon to see what might be eating up the battery, and not really anything that I can see. Stuff running is only 1%.
Replacements are all fakes. Anker battery that I purchased in the past are no longer available even at Amazon and at Anker's web site. Since my phone is 4+ years old, maybe it's time to upgrade.

So the Pixel does not come with a headphone jack? You guys that have the phone - any issues besides the cracked screen? As for the headphone jack, what do you need in order to listen to music? What apps are actually installed on the phone?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

1 - Plain, stock Android (very smooth/fast)
2 - I use Bluetooth earbuds
3 - I haven't had any screen issues but I also have the Pixel 2 and not the XL variant, so my screen isn't quite as large.
4 - I listen to music with the default Android music player that came with the OS.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Very happy with my Pixel 2 XL. I'm convinced it was a combination of tight jeans, and the popsocket I had attached to the case which created a crowbar effect when I sat on it. I've been keeping it in my left pocket most of the time now instead of the back pocket just in case. It IS a longer phone than the standard Pixel 2.

Not having as much an issue with the lack of a headphone jack as I thought. I don't like BT headsets (one more thing to charge). I use Apple earbuds and the phone comes with one USB-C earphone adapter and I just leave it connected to the ear buds. I bought a few spare earphone adapters as well. Note: Not all USB-C to earphone adapters work with the Pixel 2. I bought some on Amazon that didn't work. I ended up ordering a couple directly from the Google store.

Fast phone - quite noticeably faster than the MotoX Pure which was no slouch. It charges VERY fast with a compatible fast charger. The fast chargers Verizon sells in their stores are compatible.

The finger print reader location on the back works really well, and it's very reliable.

I use the music player that comes with ES Flie Explorer.

Since it's pure Android it only comes with the basic standard Android apps. No crapware. Even if you buy it at a wireless store. I got mine direct from Verizon but they aren't allowed to put any of their crapware on it. I had to download the Verizon app myself to access my account.

My only complaint is the Android camera app. I was used to the Motorola camera app on the MotoX Pure. The GUI is a little funky on the stock app. Don't like that you have to pinch to zoom. Moto did it better: all you had to do was slide your finger up and down. Minor thing though, and I'm getting used to it.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

What about wireless charging? Does the phone support that function? I'll probably end up getting the phone at Costco since I've done that in the past with good deals instead of going directly to Verizon.