laptop and cable tv remote possible problem .

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

laptop and cable tv remote possible problem .

Post by reno »

wife was using the tv clicker and my new Dell laptop flicker . not sure if its something I need to worry about or not . first time I'ved had it happen was tonight ! the tv and the laptop are in the same room and have been .
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: laptop and cable tv remote possible problem .

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If the TV remote is optical, it should not be possible. If it's RF, then it's SLIGHTLY possible but still dubious.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno

Post by reno »

Bob it RF remote from spectrum . she was changing channels when it happen 3 times now !
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Weird. Shouldn't be powerful enough. I've seen a commercial walkie talkie mess with a computer if you put it close to it, but those are usually several watts of power. Remote should be pretty weak signal.

I guess as long as it doesn't crash the laptop, you're ok. May just be the video chip it's messing with.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno

Post by reno »

I was thinking sound card or video chip . I forgot that on Saturday night i lost my taskbar when trying to set the sound card to run my movie though my Hdmi cable to are tv set . was only able to recover the taskbar by doing a shut down and restart of the laptop ! then last night I had the screen on this laptop flicker when wife was changing channels on the remote for the tv set .i did disconnect the hdmi cable and it happen a 3rd time after that . Im going to keep a close eye on this laptop think there could be a motherboard problem like a cold solder connection or something like that or connector internal .
reno

Post by reno »

more problems showed up today so I contacted dell - they did a software service check and think its a windows update problem if this don't work looking like a replacement unit will be in order ! will know more when I run this unit for a day or two .
reno

Post by reno »

well we found the problem and I'm shocked at what it turned out to be. a power surge protector that I have . I had my tv ,stereo ,cable box , DVD Player, also the power cord for my laptop . when I unplug the laptop's power supply from it and into a different unprotected wall outlet the cable tv clicker stopped affecting my laptop .the laptop in the same location and that was the only thing I changed .
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

That's pretty unusual.