Almost 50% of U.S. Mobile Traffic Will Be Scam Calls by 2019

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
Executioner
Life Member

Almost 50% of U.S. Mobile Traffic Will Be Scam Calls by 2019

Post by Executioner »

First Orion sells call protection solutions to tens of millions of mobile subscribers and the company has released their inaugural 2018 Scam Call Trends and Projections Report which analyzes over 50 billion calls made to their customers in the past 18 months. In 2017 3.7% of all calls made to First Orion customers constituted spam calls and this has grown to 29.2% in 2018. First Orion predicts that the percentage of spam calls will rise to 44.6% by early 2019. The rise of scammers using the "Neighborhood Spoofing" technique where the scammer disguises their number as an area code local to the victim on their Caller ID is increasing. Congress and the FCC have been working to stop these malicious, nuisance robocalls as they target the elderly, immigrants and more to request personal information to assist with identity theft and more crimes. First Orion suggests that new, adaptive technologies to combat the exponential increase in scam calls will be needed.
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/09/28 ... ls_by_2019

I've noticed an uptick on these calls. Almost 95% of them are spoof numbers with the area code and prefix. Even our lan line is getting them now even with NoMoreRomo. I wish the FCC would get off their asses and really do something.
wvjohn

Re: Almost 50% of U.S. Mobile Traffic Will Be Scam Calls by 2019

Post by wvjohn »

I get these all the time - about 80% of the calls I get are spam, and I really don't use the phone much. If it isn't a number I recognize, I don't answer. The number of robo messages has gone up too. FCC is too busy helping their friends take over cable and cell to care.