Apple iPhone 7 /rant

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
Err
Life Member

Apple iPhone 7 /rant

Post by Err »

About 2 years ago, I bought the wife an iPhone 7 to replace her dying 5S. The other day, in the middle of Face Time with her mom, the phone popped up a Call Failed. From then on out, whenever she made a phone call or received a call, it would ring through and immediately hang up. I cleaned and re-seated the SIM and reset and restored the entire phone. Same thing. I turned off WiFi calling and finally got it quit hanging up. However, now there was no audio during calls and the button for speaker phone was greyed out. You also couldn't adjust eh volume from the volume buttons and the person on the other end can't hear you. It turns out this is a known issue.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... apple-logo

There is an issue where the audio chip will come loose as the phone ages. The phone also takes a good five minutes to boot. I checked the warranty on the phone and of course it's out. I had the wife take it to AT&T and they recommended a local repair shop. They wouldn't touch it and suggested we sent it to apple. Since I didn't buy the BS $150 iCare (or iWHatever it's called), It will cost $320 plus shipping. [Insert expletives here] Even with extended support, it would cost $100 since it's out of warranty.

Even though I feel as if I'm still being ripped off, Apple is offering $250 trade in towards the new XR. Fine. I'll never get her to move to a cheaper android solution. The questions for the trade in concern if the phone turns on and condition. They don't ask if the thing works properly. She have her new iPhone XR 128 tomorrow. One thing I will give apple credit for is their iCloud. All you have to do is sign in with the new phone and everything gets transferred. Even ringtones and wallpaper.

I don't understand how Apple got away with releasing a defective phone without have to issue a recall. You'd think that they'd at least extend the warranty. The wife thought that she broke it because she dropped it in a puddle in a parking lot a couple of months ago. I told her that it's supposed to be rated for such mishaps. It shouldn't be that fragile. The phone has no blemishes on it at all. She really takes good care of her phones.

TL;DR
[4 letter word] Apple

/rant
Err
Life Member

Re: Apple iPhone 7 /rant

Post by Err »

Question: Is is true that iPhone users must use iMessage to send texts to other iPhone users? The wife is still using the iPhone 7 and suddenly can't send texts to her mom who also has an iPhone. iMessage was displaying "waiting on activation" in the app setting. I tried sending it to my android with iMessage off and it went. Tried sending it to my daughter's iPhone and it fails. I restarted the phone and got iMessage to activate. However, if you have to use iMessage to communicate with other iPhones, that is some Triple A BS.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: Apple iPhone 7 /rant

Post by Genom »

You can probably use a standard SMS app, but the default will force imessage. Welcome to the padded cell that is the Apple ecosystem.