Need good email app on Android

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
Losbot
Almighty Member

Need good email app on Android

Post by Losbot »

Looking for recommendations. I'm on Android and the app I've used for some years now (Type) is acting up and crashing roughly 10 seconds after opening it. Others are complaining about it too. I need to access various IMAP email accounts, so I'm hoping you guys use something you might recommend I check out. Don't care if it's free or paid. If it's worth it, I'll buy an app. Just need it to work.

Thanks!
Err
Life Member

Re: Need good email app on Android

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I use K-9 Mail. It's open source and been rock stable for me for over a decade. It's open source, feature-rich but without having a whole lot of glitzy crap you don't need.

I know it's supports IMAP but I use it for POP3 accounts.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 9&hl=en_US
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Bob,

Is K-9 still being supported? Recent reviews are complaining that there's no more support for it and the last update was on September 7, 2018.
The app looks good.

One of my biggest concerns these days is that some of these email apps pull your emails from their servers then serve it to the app. They're collecting data about us and selling it to other parties. I'll pay for an app. to avoid this nonsense.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah like you I don't need something sending my mail to a cloud server. It's just a straight POP3 or IMAP client. I just wanted the equivalent of Thunderbird on Android.

Somebody still poking around at it cuz there was commit done to it on Github 15 days ago:

https://github.com/k9mail/k-9
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Someone's also recommending Aqua Mail in this thread:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/andro ... droid.html

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I've used both Outlook and Thunderbird on my desktop. If I was to use one on my android phone, it would probably be Outlook. I've been using the Yahoo email app for android for years. Seems to be okay if you have a Yahoo account.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I wish they made a Thunderbird for Android :(

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Burned out from reading reviews. lol
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

From my experiences I would try K-9. Granted I haven't used IMAP on it but it's been rock solid.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:From my experiences I would try K-9. Granted I haven't used IMAP on it but it's been rock solid.
To you knowledge, K-9 does not pull mails through some cloud service? Is the app communicating directly with the mail servers?
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

I used to use K9 for a long time. Then I discovered Aqua Mail which was way better. I currently use Outlook.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Losbot wrote:
FlyingPenguin wrote:From my experiences I would try K-9. Granted I haven't used IMAP on it but it's been rock solid.
To your knowledge, K-9 does not pull mails through some cloud service? Is the app communicating directly with the mail servers?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's just a dumb email client that pulls directly from the server. To save bandwidth, it has a minimum size it will download - usually enough for the text. There's a button you press to download the entire message if you want to see large images or attachments.

Since it's open source, one assumes people have checked the code for anything funny.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Discussion on this Reddit forum about privacy centric email apps including K-9 and aquamail:

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO ... r_android/

As pointed out in this discussion, K9 isn't pretty but it does the job. I don't need pretty. I hate the bubblegum look of Gmail on Android.

Same thing with Thunderbird for Windows. I use it for its functionality and privacy not for a pretty GUI. Hell, I was fine with Eudora until they stopped supporting it.