Samsung accused of misleading customers on Galaxy S 'water resistance'

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Samsung accused of misleading customers on Galaxy S 'water resistance'

Post by reno »

An Australian consumer watchdog has announced that it's taking Samsung to court over claims that the company's Galaxy phones are safe to take in the water.

In 2016 Samsung released its first IP68 water-resistant phone, the Galaxy S7. All of the electronics giant's flagship phones have since carried the IP68 certification for water resistance, and have been advertised as water-friendly phones. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) says this amounts to false advertising. more here--https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-accus ... iZOCRKzfAU

i'm surprised both Apple and Samsung and some other brands have not been hit with these suits around the world. how water proof can a cell phone be ? sure they need to resist to moisture from preparation when say in your pocket or damp weather use. i've been lucky to not killed a phone do to water yet .
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Samsung accused of misleading customers on Galaxy S 'water resistance'

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My Pixel 2 is pretty water proof. I got caught in a torrential rain while mountain biking a few weeks ago. The phone got soaked so bad, that water got under the screen protector, and water spit out of the speakers when I used it afterwards. At first I thought I had ruined the screen and then I peeled it off. Survived just fine, and so did my iPod. However I think I'll put a zip lock in my backpack from now on.

I wouldn't go swimming with it but I suspect it would survive a quick dunk.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "