Fortnite vs Apple vs Google: a brief and very incomplete timeline

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Fortnite vs Apple vs Google: a brief and very incomplete timeline

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Means squat to me since I don't play games on my phone, but this is apparently a big thing, and Epic is apparently got a detailed plan to fight Apple that sounds brilliant.

Worth the read just to understand the context as this could have ramifications for ALL app store apps.

The video Epic made mocking the Apple 1984 ad is f'ing brilliant.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/14/2136 ... e-timeline

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Fortnite vs Apple vs Google: a brief and very incomplete timeline

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Longer read, but more details:

Maker of hit video game ‘Fortnite’ sues Apple and Google after its removal from app stores
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... app-store/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I don't have a dog in this fight. If I wanted to play Fortnite, I play on PC or Switch. I don't know if Epic has a case since they agreed with Apple's and Google's Terms of Service before updating their app to bypass the store. However, I'm interested in what effects this will have on closed phone ecosystems.

Android users have it much easier than Apple. All I have to do is enable apk installation. I think you have to Jailbreak an iPhone to sideload apps.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, this is pretty much my reaction to anyone who's upset about not being able to play a game on their phone:

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Love the epic ad, mocking Apple.
------------------------------------------

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Meh. A company making tons of money isnt happy it's not making more tons of money and is pissing on other companies making tons of money. Fuck all of them.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Oops. It appears Epic kicked an angry bear, and the bear is pissed.

Apple threatens to boot Epic and Unreal Engine off Mac and iOS
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/ ... epic-says/

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Think about the cynicism from Epic. They broke their terms of contract, and are playing the hero against the big mean Apple as if it was all a surprise. They had that 1984 add ready to go. They knew exactly what the optics of Apple's justifiable actions per contract violation would be and are playing consumers for tremendous saps to do the PR battle for them. Notice they arent poking the Sony/Microsoft console "monopoloy" bears because that fight has real stakes and there is no way for them to win. Fuck Epic, and fuck Apple.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Free market, baby!

On eBay, people are selling iPhones with Fortnite installed - for thousands of pounds extra
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... unds-extra

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

https://kotaku.com/epic-tells-court-its ... 1844834599
U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers has issued a temporary verdict on two of the case’s most pending issues. She denied Epic’s request to have Fortnite reinstated but, as Bloomberg report, “granted the company’s request for a temporary order blocking Apple from limiting the game developer’s ability to provide Unreal Engine, key graphics technology, for other apps”.

Not mentioned in the verdict, but Epic really doesn't have an argument when it comes to Apple taking 30% as this is the industry standard: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/07 ... y-standard

Now if they industry is all taking 30% due to price fixing, then Epic has a case. Complaining about 30% when they signed a TOS and then violated it, the verdict was as expected. It's so weird watching Billionaires fight. It's just not enough that they have some of the money, the need ALL of the money.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I really don't understand how Sweeney expects to win this. If they're expecting some public backlash, I really don't think Apple cares. The number of people who would give up their iPhone because they can't play Fortnite (well, now ANY Epic game) if going to be pretty small.

For that matter I can't understand why anyone would want to play a game like Fortnite on a phone, but that's me.

Apple is not going to cave, and is putting the Hurt on Epic. Epic has a long, expensive, protracted legal battle ahead of them.

Apple removes Fortnite developer Epic from App Store
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53955183

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Maybe they got cocky since they have given Steam some trouble. But yeah, there is no way they are winning this fight.