Three Reasons not to upgrade to the new Firefox for Android browser right now

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Three Reasons not to upgrade to the new Firefox for Android browser right now

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Fair warning: If you use Firefox for Android, disable auto updates on it now and DO NOT manually update when offered.

Sadly, I was not offered the option of not installing it. Yes, I have my app updates set to manual, but it was supposed to warn you that this was a new browser and not an update.

I despise the new UI. WTF does everyone think we all want a new UI? You know what? Thunderbird and Photoshop have had essentially the same UI for the last 15 years. I LIKE THAT. If Adobe tried changing the UI in Photoshop they'd have a riot on their hands.

I despise the fact that it has it's own proprietary homepage (like the default one in the desktop version) but there's NO option to choose your own home page.

I don't like the new fonts.

I hate that it looks like Chrome. If I'd wanted Chrome I would use Chrome. I may end up using Chrome because at least Chrome lets you turn off their homepage and use your own.

The only recourse is to uninstall it and manually side-load the previous version (I have backups and there's a repository) but you lose all your bookmarks, passwords, etc. I MAY do that, because I can easily rebuild my bookmark list, but it's probably pointless as sooner or later I'll have to let the old version go when some security flaw comes along and forces me to.

The lack of extensions don't bother me except that I miss my extension that gave me a home button. Ublock Origin is still supported and that's all I need.

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/08/07/three ... right-now/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Three Reasons not to upgrade to the new Firefox for Android browser right now

Post by Executioner »

Crap. I already updated mine as I normally do when I see the update. I actually don't use it that much on my phone as I rely on Chrome mostly. Just like Acronis changing their UI all the time is the main reason I left it behind.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Three Reasons not to upgrade to the new Firefox for Android browser right now

Post by Losbot »

Crap. Too late for me. Updated 4 days ago apparently.
------------------------------------------