Mobile banking

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
darcy

Mobile banking

Post by darcy »

I am finding myself in a position where I most likely will need to do limited mobile banking ( depositing checks into account ).
Is this safe?
What security apps should I download?
I am nervous as heck about this,,.
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
psypher
Golden Member

Re: Mobile banking

Post by psypher »

I've been using mobile banking for as long as I can remember now. I hate going into banks. Like any computer, you have to be good about what you install on your phone and what websites you visit. Always enable 2FA, it's not perfect, but it's something. BoA and Chase have great apps. Regions is meh. I've never liked Wells Fargo, so can't comment on their app, never used it. Also, highly recommend enabling the various notifications/alerts with your bank. I get an alert for every credit card transaction, money deposited, checks cashed, transfers, etc... The convenience of mobile deposits will out weight any fears you have, you'll never go back to a bank, unless you get a huge check that's over the mobile deposit limit :) As for security apps, I use Malwarebytes on my desktop and phone.

Keep in mind, I'm a software developer and IT geek, so I embrace all technology, never fear it.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I've been using mobile banking on my phone also for years. I trust that most banks have very tight security. I also never save CC info on other sites as I don't trust them as I do with a known bank. I also don't surf very much on my phone. I guess I'm old can find it hard to move around web sites and the mobile web browsers.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Executioner wrote:I've been using mobile banking on my phone also for years. I trust that most banks have very tight security. I also never save CC info on other sites as I don't trust them as I do with a known bank. I also don't surf very much on my phone. I guess I'm old can find it hard to move around web sites and the mobile web browsers.
btw, nowadays it's unlikely that any site would actually store your credit card. The credit card processor stores it and what the websites store is just a reference to your card (Profile). No company wants to go through the compliance requirements to actually store credit cards. I only store it when it's a place I use very frequently, ie. Amazon and for a while Chewy. Outside of that, it's just monthly services/utilities.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

i been doing mobile banking for years now for depositing checks - it worked great for me for most the time. there times i may have to retake a picture of a check .my bank also has a limit of how much money we can deposit daily . there no limit to as how many checks just the total dollar value . we are able to deposit checks into different accounts . i have different checking and saving account and can use the same program and switch between them accounts when making deposits of checks . you still need to keep the deposited checks for 2 weeks . also a big plus is the checks are mostly credited to your account overnight or with in 24 to 48 hours . i do have a option on my account that we never use . for a small extra fee very per check that you deposit. can be credited for instant use. I never need it that fast so we opt out . we have overdraft protection that we never use any more . been years last time we used are overdraft protection. now i know there a way to move money from one bank to another . she transfer it from and to a Chase bank account that belongs to her brother . were with pnc bank and its all done free of charge. I know she can move the money but he has no access. to are bank only she can do it .
(the banks for the most part have the programs designed to be very user friendly and secure )
darcy

Post by darcy »

Thank you all very much,, :)
I will have to get my nerve up; I haven't owned a cell for 15 years(!), and only have this one less than 2 weeks, and have only used for texting. 0_o

darcy

Post by darcy »

psypher wrote:I've been using mobile banking for as long as I can remember now. I hate going into banks. Like any computer, you have to be good about what you install on your phone and what websites you visit. Always enable 2FA, it's not perfect, but it's something. BoA and Chase have great apps. Regions is meh. I've never liked Wells Fargo, so can't comment on their app, never used it. Also, highly recommend enabling the various notifications/alerts with your bank. I get an alert for every credit card transaction, money deposited, checks cashed, transfers, etc... The convenience of mobile deposits will out weight any fears you have, you'll never go back to a bank, unless you get a huge check that's over the mobile deposit limit :) As for security apps, I use Malwarebytes on my desktop and phone.

Keep in mind, I'm a software developer and IT geek, so I embrace all technology, never fear it.
I have done limited online banking on my laptop and have alerts in place :).

Browser: I see a Chrome app. Is that doable.?

And next step, download Malwarebytes.?

Then log in to bank and download their app?

,, Sorry,, I need step by step,,,

The phone is a refurbished Samsung S10e.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Look for the bank's app in the Play Store if using Android. I'm sure Apple has something similar. You don't need Chrome.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

darcy wrote: Browser: I see a Chrome app. Is that doable.?

No, don't access banks through Chrome on your phone. All major banks will have an official app available. Install their app.

For extra security, I would recommend something like Malwarebytes to be installed. Through Newegg using promo code 5NSPREDY375, you can get it for $30 1 year. That will support installations on 5 devices, so can use it on your desktop and mobile phone and 3 other devices. Of course, the renewal will be $60 unless you find another deal next year. You could also just get the 3 device license that's $35 and not have to worry about looking for deals every year.
https://www.newegg.com/malwarebytes-anti-mal ... 32-562-078
darcy

Post by darcy »

psypher wrote:
darcy wrote: Browser: I see a Chrome app. Is that doable.?

No, don't access banks through Chrome on your phone. All major banks will have an official app available. Install their app.

For extra security, I would recommend something like Malwarebytes to be installed. Through Newegg using promo code 5NSPREDY375, you can get it for $30 1 year. That will support installations on 5 devices, so can use it on your desktop and mobile phone and 3 other devices. Of course, the renewal will be $60 unless you find another deal next year. You could also just get the 3 device license that's $35 and not have to worry about looking for deals every year.
https://www.newegg.com/malwarebytes-anti-mal ... 32-562-078
Thanks very much, psypher and Exec :)

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

darcy
you can always stop in at your local bank branch .im sure they have someone there tht will install the correct app. and show you how to use it.
darcy

Post by darcy »

reno wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:31 pm darcy
you can always stop in at your local bank branch .im sure they have someone there tht will install the correct app. and show you how to use it.
Thanks, Mike,,, unfortunately, there's no local branch in my area where the original account is located. If I could've opened this particular type account in my area, I would've,,