Oh joy - time to replace my battery

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
Executioner
Life Member

Oh joy - time to replace my battery

Post by Executioner »

on my Samsung S9. The phone is about 2 years old, and I noticed today that the battery went from 24% to 3% in just a few minutes. From reading stuff on the interwebs, the expected life of a phone battery is 1.5 to 2 years. So now I need to find some place to have it replaced with a new battery. I don't want to get a new phone at the moment, and I don't want to attempt at trying to open this sucker up and break the glass. I had to replace my wife's iPhone 8 with a 13 so I can't swing on getting a new phone until I can pay hers off.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Oh joy - time to replace my battery

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ive never had a battery die that quickly unless it was defective. My Pixel 2XL is 3.5 years old and battery not showing any sign of slowing down. Had very good luck with my old Moto-X as well - milked that thing almost 4 years before the battery started going.

I do recommend avoiding cheap chargers. Although the phone mostly handles managing the charge rate, a poorly made or defective charger can still overwhelm the phone's charger by hitting it with too much voltage. Those $2 chargers at the checkout line at the convenience store are crap.

BTW. The Galaxy S9 was first released March 2018. Sometimes those things sit on the shelf a long time, and batteries do chemically deteriorate even when not in use, especially if stored in warm temperatures.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Found a place local that can install a new battery with labor for $60.

I'm using the charger that came with the phone. It's a bummer that it's not like my old S5 which takes about 2 minutes to change the battery.

I was incorrect on the age of the phone. It's almost 3 years old with the original battery. I've seen this issue before on laptop batteries, just never on my phone.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah we have a mom & pop shop here that makes a good living off of replacing batteries and screens on phones and tablets for a reasonable price. I've used them a few times.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I found my receipt when I bought the S9: 5-10-2018 so the phone is ~3.5 years old. Also, today I let the battery get down to 13% before I put it on the charger, and it did not drop quickly to 2% like it did previously. Maybe it just needed to be "recalibrated"? I normally put it on the charger when it hits 20-30%.

I'm still going to replace it though. At this point, I don't have any plans on replacing the phone because getting a new battery is cheaper than buying a new phone.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

There's a lot of arguement about this because so much battery management happens behind the scenes, but there is a good case for once in a while allowing the battery to completely discharge.

It's not really a memory problem like the old Nicad tech, but yeah, like you said, sometimes you just need to allow the charging circuit in the phone to 'recalibrate'.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I order 2 of the Pixel 6 phones for myself & the wife. Didn't feel like replacing her Pixel 2's battery and I wanted to upgrade from my Pixel 3. Got $300 for each phone from T-Mobile.
------------------------------------------