Delete all index.dat files

Post your best Windows Tips, Shortcuts, Important add-ons, etc
MrYogi

Delete all index.dat files

Post by MrYogi »

1) Boot in Safe Mode.
- Restart computer and press F8 repeatedly, choose boot in safe mode with command prompt.

2) go to root , i.e, C:/
-type cd \

3) type del index.dat /s
Augix

Post by Augix »

more info

ABOUT INDEX.DAT FILES: Index.dat files contain ALL your web surfing history
since they were (re)created. Here are 3 reasons to delete them: (1) They are
never resized, and only get bigger. (2) Large index.dat files can cause performance problems when browsing. (3) To protect your privacy, so others
cannot see where you’ve been on the Internet. (You’ll have to delete other
files as well; some information is also stored in the registry about where
you’ve been.) Index.dat files are hidden, don't show up in searches (in Windows or DOS) and CANNOT be deleted when Explorer is running.

============================================================

STEP 1. Cut and paste these 7 lines into a text editor, and save them as DELTA.BAT on c:\ (root, i.e, not in a folder). Just in case the lines wrap in this post, to make things clear, each line of the batch file is separated with :: on an otherwise a blank line. It does no harm to leave them there.

@echo off
::
deltree /y c:\windows\cookies\index.dat>nul
deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~1\content.ie5\index.dat>nul
deltree /y c:\windows\history\history.ie5\index.dat>nul
deltree /y c:\windows\history\history.ie5\mshist~1\index.dat>nul
cls
exit

NOTES: The cls is just to make sure the DOS window doesn’t stay open just because there’s something on the screen. It may not be needed, but it sure doesn’t hurt. Exit closes the DOS window; otherwise you’d wind up with an open DOS window on your desktop.

STEP 2. In Control Panel (or Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools):
* Click on Scheduled tasks.
* Double click on Add Scheduled Task.
* In Scheduled Task Wizard, click next.
* Click on Browse.
* Go to Delta.bat and double click on it.
* In the Name box, enter: Delete Index.dat files
* Click on “When My Computer Starts”
* Check “Open Advanced Properties...”
* Click Finish
* Click settings tab; uncheck all boxes.
* Click apply, then OK.

The next time you start or reboot your computer, all index.dat files will de deleted. (The ones in Cookies and Temporary Internet Files will be recreated at 32 KB; the two in History will be recreated at 16KB.)

OPTION. After you complete Steps 1 and 2, reboot your computer. If you don’t like the DOS window that flashes on the screen:
* Go to My Computer, C:\ drive
* Find DELTA.BAT and right click.
* Click on properties.
* Click the program tab.
* In the run box, select “Run Minimized” from the drop down menu.
* Check “Close on Exit”
* Click Apply, then OK.

This will create a DELTA.PIF file that is bigger than the batch file itself, and keep it from spoiling your view of your wallpaper for a split second. I don’t think it’s worth the bother.

WARNING: You may be tempted to add more lines to this file. Do so at your own risk. Do NOT delete contents of TEMP folders. That could prevent programs from installing/updating. Do NOT delete the RECENT folder; that interferes with the List Zapper program, which could then delete all files on C:\. Do NOT use DELINDEX in Task Scheduler!(It deletes the contents of TEMP folders.) Instead of deleting the contents of the Applog folder on a regular basis, just turn off Task Monitor in msconfig. I tested this deleting Cookies, History, and Tempor~1 FOLDERS in C:\Windows at startup; once, when I opened my word processor, all the documents were gone. The entire My Documents folder had been moved into the My Music folder. This only happened one time. Was this caused by deleting the folders? I don’t know; probably not. But since I run DELINDEX with the MORE option on a regular basis, I think with this file, simpler is better.

DISCLAIMER: This has been extensively tested in WinME and works fine on my system (a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop, 256KB memory, 20GB hard drive). Your system is not my system, so I cannot say with absolute certainty how it will work on your computer. If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster. This should also work in Win98 and with IE 6.

DELTA vis-a-vis DELINDEX: Yes, this is essentially DELINDEX with the LESS option. Since DELINDEX MORE deletes a whole lot more (entire folders and miscellaneous files including the temp folder contents), I suggest you use DELINDEX on a regular basis IF you use the MORE option. DELTA.BAT will not free up a whole lot of disk space, but it will keep index.dat bloat to a minimum. If you use DELTA.BAT, you don't need to use DELINDEX with the LESS option since they both do the same thing (except DELINDEX LESS deletes the contents of the TEMP folders).
Heatware
eGoCeNTRoNiX

why?

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Perhaps you could tell those of us who don't know why we'd want to do this what it does? :)
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Augix

Post by Augix »

ABOUT INDEX.DAT FILES: Index.dat files contain ALL your web surfing history
since they were (re)created. Here are 3 reasons to delete them: (1) They are
never resized, and only get bigger. (2) Large index.dat files can cause performance problems when browsing. (3) To protect your privacy, so others
cannot see where you’ve been on the Internet. (You’ll have to delete other
files as well; some information is also stored in the registry about where
you’ve been.) Index.dat files are hidden, don't show up in searches (in Windows or DOS) and CANNOT be deleted when Explorer is running.
Heatware
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

for industrial strength cleaning, cyberscrub is the best i've found
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ive got Tracks Eraser pro and im pretty sure it cleans the "hard to clean" Index.dat file, well at least when you run it and the list of things cleans shows it says it has cleaned it.