How to speed up NTFS formatted drives

Post your best Windows Tips, Shortcuts, Important add-ons, etc
Key Keeper

How to speed up NTFS formatted drives

Post by Key Keeper »

I installed 2000 on a few notebooks and xp on maybe two or three and I noticed that xp installed as NTFS on a notebook with 256mb ram was at least two times slower than with fat 32. I thought ntfs would be the better of the two on a fresh install. I never tried it with 2000, would this hold true also? It seems quicker to me with fat 32 but maybe im wrong. The notebook I am using now is no speed demon that is why Im asking. XP on 320mb of ram (500mhz Armada).
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Lots of benchmarks have been done and NTFS is no slower than FAT32, or mabe by a small but negligable amount.

You DO get a performance penalty if Indexing is enabled with NTFS. HOWEVER the WRONG thing to do is to just disable the indexing service. Proper instructions here:
In Windows XP right-click on My Computer and click Manage.

In Windows XP Computer Management window expand the following:

- Services and Applications
- Indexing Service
- System
- Directories

and make sure all directories listed show No for the Include in Catalog. If not, double-click on the directory or directories and select No to Include in Index.

Double-click on My Computer, right-click on the C: drive and click Properties, unselect Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching. Click Apply.

In the Confirm Attribute Changes window select Apply changes to C:\, subfolders and files and click OK to continue.

When complete, close the C: Properties window.
Afterwards you can disable indexing if you want, but it's not necessary. Windows will not run the Indexing service if you perform the above steps.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Making the changes now. See how is goes n a min.
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]