Bush ads anger some Sept. 11 families

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
Augix

Post by Augix »

Posted on Thu, Mar. 04, 2004

By WILLIAM DOUGLAS
Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - President Bush's new campaign ads drew a sharply negative reaction Thursday from families of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and from a firefighters union that supports Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

The Bush campaign began broadcasting four ads on Thursday in 17 states that are expected to be battlegrounds in November. One of the ads shows the smoldering wreckage of the twin towers of the World Trade Center, with a flag flying in the rubble. Another ad shows firefighters carrying a flag-draped stretcher. The International Association of Fire Fighters, which is backing Kerry, denounced the ads and demanded that Bush pull them.

The ads brought several victims' relatives to tears and triggered angry charges that Bush was exploiting others' misery for political gain.

"Using my dead friends and my dead brother for political expediency is dead wrong," said Chris Burke, whose brother, Tom, died in the North Tower. "It's wrong, it's bad taste and an insult to the 3,000 people who died on Sept. 11."

White House and Bush campaign officials defended their use of the images, saying Sept. 11 is part of American history and a major moment of the Bush presidency. Bush's leadership in the aftermath of the attacks is the cornerstone of his re-election campaign.

The Bush campaign issued a statement from former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani - whose actions on Sept. 11 vaulted him to hero status - defending the images.

Bush's "leadership on that day is central to his record, and his continued leadership is critical to our ultimate success against world terrorism," the statement said.

Karen Hughes, a Bush campaign adviser and confidante to the president, said on ABC's "Good Morning America" that the ad is a "tastefully done reminder of our shared experience and what we have all been through as a nation."

"It would be somewhat out of touch to ignore the reality of that day and how it forever changed our nation's policy," Hughes said. "... The race for president is now on, and it's important that we look at how the two candidates would approach the war against terror."

Firefighters saw it differently.

"I find it disgraceful and disgusting that they are going to use these images," said Harold Schaitberger, general president of the 265,000-member union. "They (the White House) have failed firefighters for the last two and a half years."

Kerry, who was resting at home in Boston, had no comment on the controversy.

Media and political analysts said the anger aroused by the imagery illustrates the danger in using an emotional event in a political campaign. While the images weren't gruesome, they can touch a raw nerve in those who lived through the attacks as well as those who had friends or family die.

"September 11 and the images thereof are going to cause controversy for whatever usage," said Robert Thompson, a professor of television and popular culture at Syracuse University. "It's a highly contested bit of cultural territory. You're taking a huge national tragedy, and you're taking it to try to sell something."

In most of his speeches, Bush talks at length about Sept. 11 and the war on terrorism, seeking to portray himself as a steadfast leader in dangerous times.

"We saw war and grief on a quiet September morning. So we pursued terrorist enemies across the world," he said Thursday at a campaign fund-raiser in Santa Clara, Calif. "And the rest of them learned there's no cave or hole deep enough to hide from American justice."

Burke, whose brother died in the attacks, said tears welled in his eyes when he first watched the ad. He said he wouldn't have minded Bush using the imagery if the president hadn't obstructed an independent commission that's investigating the attacks.

Bush initially opposed formation of the bipartisan commission and balked when the commission asked that its May 27 deadline be extended by two months. With the deadline recently pushed back, the commission and the White House are now wrangling over the scope of interviews with Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney.

"I find it hypocritical that he would use 9-11 images and then not cooperate with the commission," said Stephen Push, co-founder of Families of September 11, a support group. Push's wife, Lisa Raines, was aboard the jetliner that crashed into the Pentagon.

"I hope this leads him to pull the ads. I voted for George W. Bush, as did a lot of 9-11 families," Push said. "He's alienating people who supported him."

Anthony Gardner, whose brother Harvey died in the World Trade Center, said the alienation runs deeper than the campaign ads. Gardner and others say the administration has been unresponsive to concerns raised by Sept. 11 families, ranging from their asking for help in ensuring that the "footprints" of the fallen towers - box beam column remnants - are historically preserved, to getting assurances that Ground Zero will not be used for political purposes during the Republican convention in New York.

"This is sacred ground and should not be used as a political backdrop," said Mary Fetchet, the director of Voices of September 11, another family support group.

Rori Patrise Smith, a Republican convention spokeswoman, said, "No events are planned at Ground Zero during the convention."

(Ron Hutcheson, traveling with Bush in California, contributed to this article.)

What do you think ?
Heatware
sbp

Re: Bush ads anger some Sept. 11 families

Post by sbp »

Originally posted by Augix
What do you think ?
The link to the ads should have been posted. Image
http://www.georgewbush.com/tvads/

The ads you want to view are Tested and Safer, Stronger.
sbp

Post by sbp »

9/11 families release letter supporting Bush ads
More than a dozen families who lost relatives in the Sept. 11 attacks released a letter Saturday declaring their support for President Bush and his use of images of the destroyed World Trade Center in campaign ads.

"There is no better testament to the leadership of President Bush than Sept. 11," the letter states. "In choosing our next leader we must not forget that day if we are to have a meaningful conversation."

The "Open Letter to America," signed by 22 people who lost loved ones in the trade center, comes as other victims' families asked that the ads be pulled from the airwaves. The spots also show firefighters carrying a flag-draped stretcher.

"In the November election we will have a clear choice laid before the American people," the letter reads. "President Bush is rightly offering us that choice and the images of Sept. 11, although painful, are fundamental to that choice. The images in President Bush's campaign television ads are respectful of the memories of Sept. 11."

When asked about the ads Saturday, Bush said he will "continue to speak about the effects of 9/11 on our country and my presidency."

"How this administration handled that day, as well as the war on terror, is worthy of discussion. And I look forward to discussing that with the American people," he said.

Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry told Fox News Channel on Saturday that he believed the ads were inappropriate.

Jimmy Boyle, former president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association, said he came up with the "Open Letter to America" after hearing the president was being criticized for the ads.

"I don't think he's taking advantage of September 11th, and I feel that he's given us the leadership that we need," said Boyle, who said he will be voting for a Republican president for the first time in November.
Red Dawn
Golden Member

Post by Red Dawn »

I think that if Bush wants to use images of the WTC attack which demonstrates the biggest failure of the American Government to protect its citizens that should be ok.
Ich bin ein PC Mißbrauch
sbp

Post by sbp »

Indeed the attack was a defining moment in his administration. But enough about FDR using Pearl Harbor in his campaign.
Red Dawn
Golden Member

Post by Red Dawn »

;)
Ich bin ein PC Mißbrauch
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

i dont understand how bush has failed firefighters...

anyway, i dont listen to any union's opinion. i'm still bitter about the grocery worker strike. 17.50 an hour to check groceries, and full benifits... jeez...
Lmandrake

Post by Lmandrake »

"I voted for George W. Bush in 2000, but I won't do it again in 2004. President Bush doesn't understand the challenges America's fire fighters face. He talks about homeland security, but he has failed to provide the resources we need to do our jobs safely and effectively. John Kerry has pledged to secure federal funding to put 100,000 new fire fighters on the job. That's why I support John Kerry."

Dan LaBerge
Local 856 Manchester, NH
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Originally posted by Lmandrake
"I voted for George W. Bush in 2000, but I won't do it again in 2004. President Bush doesn't understand the challenges America's fire fighters face. He talks about homeland security, but he has failed to provide the resources we need to do our jobs safely and effectively. John Kerry has pledged to secure federal funding to put 100,000 new fire fighters on the job. That's why I support John Kerry."

Dan LaBerge
Local 856 Manchester, NH

does anyone know how much funding dropped between the clinton administration and the bush administration of fire departments?

anyway, i was convinced that fire departments are state and locally funded things. i dont see any "national" fire departments. where would it fall? department of the interior?

what we need isnt more fire fighters, what we need is more equipment(choppers, tanker planes, etc), and military aid in times of distress. When we had the wildfires out here in socal, one of the big problems is that before we had them we sent all our planes to LA to help with their fires, and they wouldnt release them to help with our fires. so for several days we fought the fire on the ground, and it just kept spreading.

also, the military, (we have a base near here) who HAS in the past helped with the manpower at stopping the fire didnt this time. i dont know why.

what we NEED is a more efficient and flexible force, with more equipment, not more dedicated people, and we need better communication to call up the local national guard and locally stationed troops to help in these situations.
Lmandrake

Post by Lmandrake »

The firefighters union almost always supports democrats. so start from there. After that, as first responders they need a lot of stuff now they didn't before. Whether they got more under Clinton is a good question, but regardless they need more stuff now. Maybe the Bush admin is leaving that up to the states. Since the states are broke, its hard to see where all the equipment and training would come from.
TheSovereign

Post by TheSovereign »

last i checked firefighters were funded by the state they work in, seems to me like extortion
u democrats talk about overspending, well we dont wanna overspend, let the state get its own funding
the firefighters should blame their states, the executive branch of the government isnt responsible for revenue bills, the house of reps is
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67rc96joOz8#t=0m58s">YodelRoll!</a>
<a href="http://www.halfinchbullet.com/">Goto HalfInchBullet.com!</a>
Lmandrake

Post by Lmandrake »

So where do the states get the money? Bake Sales? What's your point? State tax rates are lower, but taxes is taxes. Its not extortion, its politics. Who is Bechtel going to back and contribute to? Kerry?
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Originally posted by Lmandrake
The firefighters union almost always supports democrats. so start from there. After that, as first responders they need a lot of stuff now they didn't before. Whether they got more under Clinton is a good question, but regardless they need more stuff now. Maybe the Bush admin is leaving that up to the states. Since the states are broke, its hard to see where all the equipment and training would come from.

the firefighters union supports the democrats because it's a UNION, not because they're firefighters.

if the states used more fiscally responsible spending habits, then the states being broke problem wouldnt exist.
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Originally posted by TheSovereign
last i checked firefighters were funded by the state they work in, seems to me like extortion
u democrats talk about overspending, well we dont wanna overspend, let the state get its own funding
the firefighters should blame their states, the executive branch of the government isnt responsible for revenue bills, the house of reps is

in california, we have some of the highest property taxes in the country. the problem is we have also millions of illegals, old fart retirees, and lots of other drags on the economy that we could handle if they werent so numerous.

And, at least prior to the govenator (possibly even currently) we had a complete idiot in charge of our state.

the problem isnt the country, it's the local states.
Karchiveur
Golden Member

Post by Karchiveur »

I may not be able to vote in the USA or even at all... But if they would invest campain money into health care or the homeless... it solve problems instead of creating more....

All i saw on TV today was campain adds.. ALL DAY!!! (up in canada)
First person ever Banned from 3dmaxx.com