social security early or later thoughts

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

social security early or later thoughts

Post by reno »

im apply now-at 62. for me im pretty healthy but im also a smoker . knowing its only a matter of time before it catches up to me. also being mostly self employed my benefits are not going to change much if i wait. maybe $300 a month if i wait for full retirement .
wvjohn

Re: social security early or later thoughts

Post by wvjohn »

I pulled it at 62 1/2 . Ditto on smoking, bad habit as we know. I would have gotten maybe an extra $500, which would have been nice, but couldn't stay much longer in my job. I had severe burnout and my hearing had gotten so bad it was incredibly frustrating to try and do 50% of my work, which was going to court.

My wife pulled at 62 due to health issues and she was working p/t as an admin asst and not making much.

Guy I worked with decided to totally max out by not retiring until he was 70. They found him dead in his office last year at 69.

You can still earn a little bit under the cap or trade knowledge for bitcoinz!
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm going to decide based on my health at the time. We'll see. Fortunately I don't smoke but I'm sure it'll be something else that messes me up.
If you're not going to see much of a change, then pull and do something on the side to earn that missing $300/mo. Shouldn't be that difficult.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm 62.5 and will be 63 in May. I've been thinking about retirement, but I'm holding off until the right time which may be soon. As for SS, I'm holding off as long as I can before I start taking it. One of the main reason for me hold off are my genes. My grandmother lived to be 102. My mom is still alive at 86. My dad passed at 74 by cancer of the esophagus from drinking too much. Me - I don't smoke and I don't drink. I usually have a beer when we go out to eat. So I'm projecting to live to 85.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm 46 and both my parents are still going pretty strong at 72 & 74, so I'm hoping that's a good indicator. ;)