ICE Deports Palestinian Man Living In The U.S. For Almost 40 Years Despite Outcry

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
Err
Life Member

ICE Deports Palestinian Man Living In The U.S. For Almost 40 Years Despite Outcry

Post by Err »

This is madness. I never thought I'd see the day when Nationalism would gain a foothold in the US.

This guy owned a business. I wonder what happens to those assets. If they government ceases them, we know part of the motivation in deporting him.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ic ... mg00000009
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: ICE Deports Palestinian Man Living In The U.S. For Almost 40 Years Despite Outcry

Post by Losbot »

Few things messed up, like WTF was he waiting for? His whole family were citizens but he decided not to bother?
Our govt is so screwed up though and this is why shit happens. One side had no clue what the other is doing.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: ICE Deports Palestinian Man Living In The U.S. For Almost 40 Years Despite Outcry

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Actually, I can understand why he didn't. Lot's of people don't. If you have a permanent visa, why bother? I used to know lots of English and Australian ex-pats who lived in Hialeah of all places. I used to hang out at some cool English pubs in Hialeah on Palm Ave, (back in the 80s when Palm was a dangerous place) that were all on permanent visas and had no intentions of ever going home, or bothering becoming full citizens. They didn't care if they couldn't vote, but otherwise they had all other rights we have.

As I said, you DO have to go through a lot of hoops to actually get citizenship, and if you already have 99.9 percent of the rights of a citizen, then why go through the hassle? Before Trump he didn't have a thing to worry about.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Funny considering Obama was known as "The Great Deporter".
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Funny considering Obama was known as "The Great Deporter".
Of CRIMINAL ILLEGAL immigrants. Funny how he didn't get much credit for that from the right. On the flip side he strongly defended the rights of legal immigrants, and illegal immigrants who had been here a long time, and had established themselves without committing crimes.

Trump just doesn't seem to like immigrants period..... unless they're from Norway :D
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Obama did deport a lot of people that were not criminals but the point is that if you're here illegally, then you have no right to stay here so it bothers me that people ignore that. Even Hillary said in an interview that the kids dragged in with their parents need to go back. So it's OK for the Old Hag to say it but not if Agent Orange says it? People are hating, simply to hate and that's annoying, especially when he proposes changes that Obama or Hillary proposed. UGH!!

I hate politics!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This guy's not an illegal. And for the record I'm for amnesty for DACA. You were brought here when you were 1 or 2 and now you're a fine upstanding citizen, with a good job, paying taxes, there should be some kind of path to citizenship. I know a couple of DACA peeps. - both IT people. Good guys. Neither of them even speak their native language. Sending them back would be like sending me to Cuba.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I get it but how old are they now and have they even bothered to become a US Citizen? I don't want those who are here legally, to be sent back. But if you're here illegally (regardless of how) then you should be deported. If you're here and doing the regular check-ins, then you should be working on becoming a citizen or expect to get booted out. Even Obama said DACA was unconstitutional. It was an executive order and it was set to expire.

Also, for the money that people spend on DACA and renewals, they should have started looking to become naturalized. Why sit around and wait for the possibility (now a reality) that you could be deported? Get up off your ass, get the info and start the process. ESPECIALLY if you're planning to stay here and you're starting a business.

If any of us decided to leave the US and live in another country, we'd be in the same boat or worse. We're so laxed on immigration, that it's now a joke.

I'm not without empathy for these people but we DO have laws and they MUST be enforced or else we're just as bad as the "Shithole" countries we don't want to be in.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The problem is, if you are here illegally (even DACA) there IS NO PATH TO CITIZENSHIP. You can't just "become a US citizen" under current law. Technically you would have to leave the country and THEN apply for citizenship, and that's not really practical. And as I said, many of the DACA people are essentially 1st generation Americans like me in their minds. They have no memory of their old country, and often don't even speak the language.

Now this guy isn't DACA, and yes he could have applied for citizenship because he has a green card. In hindsight he should have, but again people usually tend to take the easy way out. If you have a permanent green card, you're essentially here for life unless you commit a felony (at least that's the way it used to be), and the actual process of becoming a US citizen is quite time consuming. This guy's a successful doctor, not a whole lot of free time, so I can understand. Why bother when the ONLY thing it does for you is give you the right to vote?

Like I said, there's LOTS of expats in this country, from all over, especially Europe, who just stay here on permanent visas and don't ever bother to become naturalized citizens. It never used to be a problem.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Here's another: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ic ... mg00000009
Jamal, 55, came to the U.S. in 1987 from Bangladesh on an F1 student visa and got undergraduate and graduate degrees from Kansas University. He obtained an H-1B work visa when he joined the staff at Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri, but switched back to a student visa when he decided to finish his Ph.D.

He was then given a voluntary departure order in 2011. He didn’t leave the country in the time frame he was given, which would have made him eligible for deportation. But the Department of Homeland Security exercised its prosecutorial discretion in his case ― in accordance with guidance the Obama administration enacted that told DHS who to prioritize for deportation ― and Jamal obtained a temporary work permit. He’s since been working as a chemistry instructor at Park University in Kansas City, and as a researcher at local hospitals.

That guidance still exists, meaning ICE simply chose to ignore it when the agency detained him.