Defying N.R.A., Florida Lawmakers Back Raising Age Limits on Assault Rifles

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Defying N.R.A., Florida Lawmakers Back Raising Age Limits on Assault Rifles

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The very least they can do. In Florida you need to be 21 to buy a handgun, but you can buy a rifle or shotgun at age 18.

I'm also glad our governor (idiot at times though he can be) is not jumping on the "arm the teachers" bandwagon. SERIOUSLY if you're PAYING teachers to arm themselves, we've lost the f'ing war.

I have no problem with allowing a teacher who already has carry permit to carry in the school, but this idea of a bonus for teachers who want play armed mall cop is absurd.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/us/f ... ntrol.html
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Re: Defying N.R.A., Florida Lawmakers Back Raising Age Limits on Assault Rifles

Post by Err »

I'm glad to see he's doing something. I've said before I'd like to see handguns raised to 25 but one step at a time. I saw that he's making exceptions for Military and Law Enforcement too.

I'm not a fan or arming teachers but I'd be willing to concede that as long as each school district gets to decide. I think you're playing with fire to even have a gun on school premises.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I think you're playing with fire to even have a gun on school premises. precisely.

Anyone who has a carry permit knows one of the real issues is making sure your weapon is secured at all times. Prison guards don't carry guns for just that reason.

If you want to keep guns out of schools, hire TSA and put up metal detectors like they do at the courthouse.

It is the job of government to create safe conditions. More and more I'm seeing "we wont do anything about pollution in drinking water because bizness shouldn't be inconvenienced but we'll give you $5 off your personal filter" in all areas.

Privatize the profit, throw the costs back on society over and over.

/rant
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I understand why 18 was the age for long guns. You're an adult and able to go hunting so you'd need a long gun to do it. That's going to upset those who ARE law-abiding, perfectly normal young adults who looked forward to going on hunting trips with the family or friends. There's pros and cons to everything and I think there's going to be some major resistance on the age. It's easy for me to say I'm fine with it because I'm over 21 but I remember waiting to turn 18 so I could buy a shotgun and go skeet shooting.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

All it says is YOU can't buy a gun if you're under 21. If your Dad is a hunter, and wants you to join him in the sport, he'll buy you a gun. This in no way restricts someone in a hunting family.

It prevents some lone wolf from buying a gun, when no adult is willing to do it for him.

But I'm sure the NRA will make a big hue and cry that we're depriving young adults of the right to go hunting.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.