DEBUNKED: Top 5 AR-15 Lies! Thoughts?

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
Losbot
Almighty Member

DEBUNKED: Top 5 AR-15 Lies! Thoughts?

Post by Losbot »

Thoughts?

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: DEBUNKED: Top 5 AR-15 Lies! Thoughts?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I can't watch that guy for 12 minutes. You wanna just list these 5 myths and I'll comment on them?

Yeah there's LOTS of ways of killing mass numbers of people, and banning the AR15 would not stop all mass killings, but most of the mass killings in this country in recent history WERE done with an AR style weapon, so what does that tell you?

I don't support an outright ban, but I do believe we're LONG overdue for a consistent nationwide background check system and age limit.

And I see nothing wrong with a little extra scrutiny for someone who wants to buy an assault rifle just like we have some extra scrutiny right now for someone who wants a conceal carry permit.

There is also no f'ing excuse at all to allow the sale of bump stocks and crank triggers. 99% of these are NOT being sold to someone who's handicapped, and there's no proof of handicap required to purchase them right now.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I honestly can't just list them. I'd have to list them plus type the info provides after each myth. It's not just the myths but other items he points out.

Yeah, I know he's a little fast paced and rubs people wrong but I believe he's got valid points.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Let me rant on a little more because the other REALLY annoying statement I hear is that an AR is a "home defense weapon" and that is utter bullshit.

An AR (or ANY long rifle for that matter) is just about the worst home defense weapon you can use. The ideal home defense weapon is a short barrel shotgun with a pistol grip (the Mossberg 12 ga security combo is my personal home defense weapon). A good runner up is any pistol (and I prefer a revolver to an automatic because we're talking close range, and I prefer a weapon that has ZERO chance of jamming - my backup gun at home, and what I carry on the property in case of coyotes or snakes is a S&W snub nose .38 special).

CAN you use an AR for home defense? Sure, but it should be a last resort and not your primary, unless you're some kind of idiot. I seriously doubt anyone who owns an AR style gun uses that exclusively as a home defense weapon. More likely they have a loaded pistol in easy reach.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

AR-15 is a sport model of a military weapon designed to shoot people at range. Ever since it was introduced, I have seen criticism that it is a lousy war weapon because of the caliber. All the shooting classes I have ever taken emphasize that the best measures for home self defense are locks and lights. After that, the sound of a 12 gauge pump gun being racked. That said, if you want to go full survivalist, you may want to have things that use the same rounds as military. An older pump 12 gauge will handle most chores.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Every gun instructor I have spoken with tells me home defense is a Shotty (as far as firearms go, motion lights outside are the main deterrent). So thats what I have as my main, and a Glock 17 as my backup. Still deciding what to get for a carry.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

LOL at that guy that "destroyed" his AR. He made it Illegal by sawing it off... and for all we know the barrel could have been shot any ways and he can just buy a new one to put on it.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Here's my home defense weapon. I had left the regular stock on it while it was at the old house, but I put the pistol grip back on it today.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

As far as the guy who cut up his AR, didn't he cut through the expansion chamber? That would pretty much turn it into a useless weapon. Oh okay, maybe a one shot weapon.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

But the barrel does not count as the gun. He can replace it with a new one and it would still be the same gun. You have to destroy the receiver to destroy the "gun". And it does appear he did cut the gas tube so it is basically a short barrel lever (charging handle) gun.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Makes some interesting points. If you're going to use an AR, you'll want to keep it short and simple. Scores each one on various categories. Plus he takes the spouse into account. What if THEY need to use it?

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Some really good ballistic comparisons for home defense:

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

im not a gun expert at all .but a shot gun will do more to stop a person then any rifle !
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

My issue with rifles or shotguns, when it comes to home protection, is the length. It's tougher to hide and navigate around corners. You could be more "ready" with a handgun in my opinion but there's many people that say otherwise. Just seems more cumbersome but for some it works.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I think it's mostly due to intimidation.