DEBUNKED: Top 5 AR-15 Lies! Thoughts?

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: DEBUNKED: Top 5 AR-15 Lies! Thoughts?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You can make anything work. I'd hate to use a shotty with a long barrel, or my 30-30, but I could if I had to. Pistol is better for close quarters, but even up close you can miss with a pistol if your adrenaline is pumping.

The nice thing about the short barrel shotty is that its short enough to maneuver indoors with, and aim isn't so important. With 00 buck you've got 9 pellets and even up close there's some spread. All you have to worry about is aiming it in the right general direction. You shoot that down a hallway, and the guy on the other end is going to get hit by one of those pellets.

Some people use a slug shotgun round for self defense, but now you're back to accuracy again AND a round that can penetrate several walls easily. Heck a slug will go through concrete block no problem. Not a good choice IMO.

Which brings me to the other problem with an AR for home defense. Thats a long range weapon. You can't use a standard round. That bullet can travel 1000 yards. You don't want a stray round killing your kid, your dog, your neighbor, or some bystander a block away. Even a low velocity rifle round travels.

That's always a civilian's main worry in a self defense situation. You have to be concerned about stray rounds. When I took my conceal carry course, the instructor highly stressed that drawing your gun should always be a last resort. Once you start firing, you've essentially lost control of the situation. Unless you're Jack Reacher, most of us in a panic shootout are going to be throwing lead everywhere.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Which brings me to the other problem with an AR for home defense. Thats a long range weapon. You can't use a standard round. That bullet can travel 1000 yards. You don't want a stray round killing your kid, your dog, your neighbor, or some bystander a block away. Even a low velocity rifle round travels.
Unless you have the cash to buy one of those 9mm carbines like in the video I posted earlier in the thread. Great for home defense and the rounds they used didn't go through. I liked.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Why not have both?

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Another issue with shotty is the "fallout" or spread you could say, especially with a short barrel. Could injure a by standard with the spread of pellets. Slugs would remedy this. As for an AR being a defense weapon, if you home is being attached by a mob of people then I would say it would far pretty well, but hell a pair of pistols would work well too if you are a decent shot with them. Shooting an AR accurately, is considerably easier than firing a pistol with the same accuracy at any sort of distance, especially a pistol with any sort of knock down.

As FP stated, the revolver is an all business, no flash dependable home defense weapon. Rounds are a bit limited however but if your a good shot then 6 rounds should be plenty. I have a Dan Wesson 357 with medium barrel just for home defense. I sold all my other guns as I rarely hunted and had other hobbies in the kettle.