John McCain tweets about Trump congradulating Putin

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

John McCain tweets about Trump congradulating Putin

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: John McCain tweets about Trump congradulating Putin

Post by Losbot »

Everyone is all up in arms over this yet Obama did the same thing when Putin won last time. SIGH
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Losbot wrote:Everyone is all up in arms over this yet Obama did the same thing when Putin won last time. SIGH
SIGH? There's a huge difference between how things were back in 2012 with Russia and how things are now, 6 years later. In 2012 there weren't all these accusations of Russia "hacking" (influencing, meddling, whatever you feel comfortable calling it) our elections. Obama and his team wasn't sucked into accusations of secret meetings and involvement with Russia. Let's not forget all the Ukraine mess. The world isn't as simple as so and so did the same thing. Times change, events occur in different context, etc...
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

In the pantheon of things Donald Trump can be called out on, I agree this is fairly minor, but it's bad optics (trouble is Trump doesn't care about optics). As psypher said, circumstances were very different when Obama did the same, but frankly I didn't approve of Obama doing it either.

It's a sham election and everyone knows it, and in this case it comes on the heels of a nerve gas poisoning of civilians in a western country.

McCain is no politically motivated liberal either. He's arguably one of the few real experts on Russia in the Senate. I think his opinion is worth something.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Agreed but it was a bullshit election both times. Russia's just in the news a lot more the last couple of years. Not denying it was stupid. It's as bad as congratulating Chavez or Castro.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I don't know if this is true but apparently he was told by security advisors not to congratulate Putin:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/politics ... index.html