Why More Than 90 Percent Of Gun Owners Don’t Join The NRA

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
Err
Life Member

Why More Than 90 Percent Of Gun Owners Don’t Join The NRA

Post by Err »

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wh ... 426dabf372

Very good article describing the demographics among gun owners.
Pugsley

Re: Why More Than 90 Percent Of Gun Owners Don’t Join The NRA

Post by Pugsley »

Ever since I got my AR I have been bombarded with shit to join the NRA. Don't need to be part of the club. Its all politics and I care not for them.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Once upon a time they provided good information to sportsmen. When I was a kid in the 60s, I actually went to the NRA HQ range in DC.

I quit many years ago. I personally don't see any need for weapons designed for military use to be freely available. You can always get a class 3 license if you want fancy stuff.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

wvjohn wrote:Once upon a time they provided good information to sportsmen. When I was a kid in the 60s, I actually went to the NRA HQ range in DC.

I quit many years ago. I personally don't see any need for weapons designed for military use to be freely available. You can always get a class 3 license if you want fancy stuff.
That's the issue. It's not "military" since it fires only 1 round per trigger pull and you can do more damage with many of the pistols out there. You obviously get some accuracy with a longer barrel but most people are firing 5.56 which is s very small caliber bullet. Some of the rifles, such as an X95, are great for home defense because they're not long at all. Like a bull-pup.

Plus there's the simple reason why we're have a right to bear arms. Don't forget what happened at the Bundy Ranch. Perfect example of keeping checks and balances IMHO. If we let the govt just keep doing what they want, there will be no end. They'll keep taking more.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

NRA could reach across the aisle a bit. Conceding to federal background checks (especially in exchange for a uniform FEDERAL conceal carry law where I don't have to worry about reciprocity) would be giving up very little and reaching out an olive branch to people who are seriously concerned about gun violence.

Banning bump stocks at the federal level would also go a LONG WAY to appeasing anti-gun people. Let's be real, no one NEEDS a bump stock. It's a vanity item.

But the NRA is not willing to give an f'ing inch because they DON'T represent gun owners. They represent gun MANUFACTURERS. It's all about selling guns.

The irony is that Trump was the worst thing to happen to gun sales... NRA can't rant that they're "taking you guns away" anymore.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "