I actually don't have a problem with Brett Kavanaugh

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

I actually don't have a problem with Brett Kavanaugh

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I know Democrats feel they need to oppose this supreme court pick, but in actuality Kavanaugh is a surprisingly reasonable choice from THIS president. He has a good track record of making rulings based on law, and the fact that he was recommended by retiring Justice Kennedy is comforting. Kennedy was fair and impartial and by all accounts, he was very concerned about ensuring a replacement that would follow in his footsteps.

Some of the other people on Trump's short list were downright scary.

I think Kavanaugh is the best choice we could have gotten under the circumstances.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: I actually don't have a problem with Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Genom »

I am not crazy about him personally, as he will push the SC to a more conservative bias, but of the choices presented, you are right, it's about the best one can hope for under Trump.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

From what I could see looking up stuff about him, he's pretty well qualified. Repubs get to appoint conservatives. Compared to someone like Clarence Thomas, this guy is pure gold.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Genom wrote:I am not crazy about him personally, as he will push the SC to a more conservative bias, but of the choices presented, you are right, it's about the best one can hope for under Trump.
He's actually middle of the road and doesn't really favor one party over another. He's even ruled against the RNC in the past. He come highly recommended, even by some Democrats and this whole hearing has been turned into a shit-show just because Trump selected him.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I disagree with the middle of the road as his record does lean conservative a fair amount, but like I said, he isnt the shitshow some other possible candidates are.