Climate report warns of grim economic consequences, worsening weather disasters in US

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Climate report warns of grim economic consequences, worsening weather disasters in US

Post by FlyingPenguin »

And to give them credit, Faux News reported this straight.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/climat ... ters-in-us
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Climate report warns of grim economic consequences, worsening weather disasters in US

Post by FlyingPenguin »

And from that very same article:
None of this argues against global warming. The 1950s was the last decade cooler than the previous decade, the next five decades were all warmer on average than the decade before. Two year cooling cycles, even if they set records, are statistical noise compared to the long-term trend. Moreover, the case for global warming does not rely primarily on observed warming; it has models, historical studies and other science behind it.
I hate it when a link bait headline like that is taken out of context to refute global warming.

I DO agree that some mitigations are pointless, but ignoring the problem gets us nowhere.

Carbon taxes are a waste of time, but every government should be embracing alternative fuels. Wind & solar right now are happening DESPITE the Trump admin efforts to sabotage them. So are electric cars. We also need to look at bringing back nuclear power using safer modern designs.

You also can't ignore sea level rise at this point, and coastal cities are dealing with mitigations even if the fed isn't.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Climate report warns of grim economic consequences, worsening weather disasters in US

Post by Executioner »

I don't think that CO2 is the only major cause of this climate change. I know as a kid growing up in the 60's, I don't remember these kinds of storms we've had recently in the last 20 years. I just think that there are simply too many people on this planet, the turning point being 4-5 billion. We now have 7.6 billion with more on the way. The deforestation of the forests in Africa, India, and South America have contributed significantly to the weather change we've been seeing. With so many people on this planet, I foresee a war coming due to reduced resources for everyone.

1) CO2 has been rising
2) Temperatures have been rising
3) CO2 may have likely made an impact, but not exclusive contribution to temperatures rising
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Might have to do like the Japanese did but on a global scale.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

The thing is, it's not 1 thing to point at and say "That's it" and fix it. It's not that easy. There are thousands of factors, each one affecting things slightly, that overall are causing a landslide.

For example, higher levels of CO2 means the oceans are acidifying, causing thinner brittler shells in sea life, affecting that food chain. https://usa.oceana.org/what-ocean-acidification

Warmer average temps mean melting ice that's releasing more CO2 as well as methane, and methane is even worse for ambient temperatures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_methane_emissions

Dont forget the billions of cow farts that contribute more methane as well. https://www.popsci.com/cow-farts-are-an ... we-thought

At this point it's all a guessing game about how bad it will get, and how it will affect shit. Almost certainly we will see sea levels continue to rise faster, and mostly sure to see changes in crop viability and region. How bad regions will be affected is all a mystery for now, but chances are pretty high it aint gonna be great.

https://climate.nasa.gov/
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

What FP said about the Real Clear Markets article. He cites a general source - nasa sources - but not specific data. I took a quick spin through the site and couldn't find what he was asserting (which means I couldn't find it - notheing more - these charts aren't my specialty. This chart suggests he may be wrong or using a subset of data which he does not identify

I don't think we have a handle on half the variables involved in climate change. Not from lack of trying, buut because there are so many feedback loops that are unknown - for example temp rise > leadiing to methane release in arctic area.

IMO there are real problems coming down the road for which we don't have any answers or perhaps even understand the causation. Pretending it isn't there won't help future planning. Both Miami and Norfolk understand the sea level rise is a problem now. Mitigation may or may not be possible at this point. The feds recently took action not to implement certain car mileage requirements - if you dig way into the supporting material - their positiion is that 2-3 C temp rise is inevitable, car mileage soesn't make that much of a difference - so screw it. http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... -2100.html