Google CEO Sundar Pichai grilled by Congress on privacy, bias and China plans

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
Err
Life Member

Google CEO Sundar Pichai grilled by Congress on privacy, bias and China plans

Post by Err »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/11/tech/goo ... term=image

The video auto plays. Mute and turn on captions.

Our leaders are as dumb as rocks when it comes to tech. One guy asked Pichai if he move his seat across the room, would Google know. He looked to have an iPhone.

These idiots are also not asking the right questions like, "What are the default setting for data collection? Do you notify new accounts of data collection? How easy it this to turn off?"

It's all grandstanding BS all because when you image search "Idiot," a picture of Trump will pop up.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Google CEO Sundar Pichai grilled by Congress on privacy, bias and China plans

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The Sundar Pichai Hearing Was a Major Missed Opportunity
https://www.wired.com/story/congress-su ... o-hearing/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Google CEO Sundar Pichai grilled by Congress on privacy, bias and China plans

Post by Err »

From Wired Link
Finally, Cicilline asked whether Pichai would rule out "launching a tool for surveillance and censorship in China." Pichai's answer said nothing and everything all at once.

"We have a stated mission of providing users with information, and so we always think it’s in our duty to explore possibilities to give users access to information," Pichai said. "I have a commitment, but as I’ve said earlier on this, we’ll be very thoughtful and we’ll engage widely as we make progress."

It's the kind of non-answer on an issue of international human rights that ought to demand further questions from lawmakers, particularly lawmakers who purport to be concerned about censorship and surveillance. Too bad Republicans and Democrats of the House Judiciary Committee were too busy battling each other to notice.
Maybe this will get Europe involved. We know full well our government won't do jack about Google.