White House Coronavirus News Conference 2020-04-24

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
psypher
Golden Member

White House Coronavirus News Conference 2020-04-24

Post by psypher »

It's the official C-SPAN video from earlier today, but I linked it to the good part.

https://youtu.be/GKrv_au8vSo?t=1660
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: White House Coronavirus News Conference 2020-04-24

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Oh man, you beat me to it. I swear, I'm watching a sequel to the movie Idiocracy.

Psypher's link above is when Trump goes full-goose bizarro world. After hearing an expert mention that studies suggest that the virus' lifespan on surfaces outdoors might be affected by UV light and heat, Trump suggests that they should research a way to use this as a cure to bombard people who have the virus with massive amounts of light, or even find a way to bring light "inside the body".

Oh, but even better (now he's on a roll) since we already know disinfectants kill the virus in mere minutes on a surface he says... (direct quote):
“I see that disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that? By injection inside, or almost a cleaning?

“Because you see, it gets in the lungs and does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that. So you’re going to have to use medical doctors with… so it sounds interesting to me.”
Here's a clip a little later when the official who reported on this has to answer questions from reporters about Trump's idea of injecting disinfectant into the body. Enjoy:

BTW: Pence should get an academy award for dead pan stares. I bet he's a great poker player.

https://youtu.be/GKrv_au8vSo?t=1915
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Watch the FDA commissioner do a soft-shoe dance around a question about this, trying desperately not to contradict the President.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/ ... ta-vpx.cnn
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

The parent company of Lysol had to release a statement: https://www.rb.com/media/news/2020/apri ... nfectants/

Due to recent speculation and social media activity, RB (the makers of Lysol and Dettol) has been asked whether internal administration of disinfectants may be appropriate for investigation or use as a treatment for coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2).

As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route). As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines. Please read the label and safety information.

We have a responsibility in providing consumers with access to accurate, up-to-date information as advised by leading public health experts. For this and other myth-busting facts, please visit Covid-19facts.com.

If we had a functional government, they'd invoke the 25th and swear in Pence. I not fond of Pence's views but at least he's competent.

I'm a microbiologist by trade. UV light will kill most viruses. Heat will kill a vast majority. Disinfectants can be hit or miss. A bleach solution is the best. However, none of these methods ca be used as treatments. Our only hope is that we get a vaccine out by next season. This is probably unlikely as it will probably take at least a year just to get it made. This all really sucks because this virus is something that isn't going to go away until we all have heard immunity against it.

I have an hypotheses that I wish we had the testing capacity to check out. I suspect those that have been exposed to other Coronavirus like the seasonal strains OC43 and 229E that cause what would be diagnosed as colds have some immunity or a quicker immune response to COVID19.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

darcy

Post by darcy »

Scarier by the minute. Literally.
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Sarah Cooper is my hero :)

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

After 18 hours, not a peep on Fox News about this - not even the standard "Oh look, the liberal press is going nuts over nothing".

Now finally, Trump says it was a "Sarcastic Question to reporters"
"I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters, like you, just to see what would happen,” he said.

“When I was asking a sarcastic — a very sarcastic question to the reporters in the room about disinfectant on the inside, but it does kill it, and it would kill it on the hands and that would make things much better. That was done in the form of a sarcastic question to a reporter,” he continued.
I ask everyone here, did it look like he was ASKING A QUESTION of reporters? The only person he asked a question of was William Bryan from Homeland Security, that was reporting on the UV and warm temperature results. He was asking him if they were looking into his ideas. And then the poor guy had to respond to a question about it from reporters.

According to Chris Wallace, the State of Maryland hotline has gotten more than 100 calls asking if it's safe to drink disinfectant.

Cute joke.

Chris Wallace: When the president says something, people take it seriously
https://video.foxnews.com/v/6151931786001#sp=show-clips

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Err wrote:I have an hypotheses that I wish we had the testing capacity to check out. I suspect those that have been exposed to other Coronavirus like the seasonal strains OC43 and 229E that cause what would be diagnosed as colds have some immunity or a quicker immune response to COVID19.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -la-county
"The initial results from the first large-scale study tracking the spread of the coronavirus in the county found that 4.1% of adults have antibodies to the virus in their blood, an indication of past exposure.

That translates to roughly 221,000 to 442,000 adults who have recovered from an infection, once margin of error is taken into account, according to the researchers conducting the study. The county had reported fewer than 8,000 cases at that time.

The findings suggest the fatality rate may be much lower than previously thought. But although the virus may be more widespread, the infection rate still falls far short of herd immunity that, absent a vaccine, would be key to return to normal life."
They're saying this thing might end up, after all the real numbers are known, having a similar death rate to the seasonal flu.
The mortality rate is based on the number of confirmed infections; the higher the number of infections, the lower the fatality rate. Both studies estimated a mortality rate of 0.1% to 0.2%, which is closer to the death rate associated with the seasonal flu.
Plus it doesn't help that they are counting any death, where the person had the virus but the cause of death was something else, as a Covid-19 associated death. Sort of makes a lot of those numbers overinflated.

This whole thing is a shitshow.
------------------------------------------

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Err wrote:If we had a functional government, they'd invoke the 25th and swear in Pence. I not fond of Pence's views but at least he's competent.
I hear ya. During the whole impeachment, I was cheer leading for Pence 2020.
FlyingPenguin wrote: I ask everyone here, did it look like he was ASKING A QUESTION of reporters? The only person he asked a question of was William Bryan from Homeland Security, that was reporting on the UV and warm temperature results. He was asking him if they were looking into his ideas. And then the poor guy had to respond to a question about it from reporters.
There was no question. He just straight up walked up and started talking crazy. Look, if it was a bunch of guys at a bar eating shit, and one of them said something stupid, then was called out on it, he could possibly get away with bullshitting his way out saying it was a joke or he was being sarcastic and you'd drink another beer and let it slide. But this is the President of the United States and I hate how many "Americans" brush it off as if it's ok. No it's not fucking ok. The President of the United States is the most powerful, most respected person of power in the world. It actually means something, or at least used to. Want to make jokes, be sarcastic? Go do that with your buddies at a bar, not in front of the world during a Presidential conference about a pandemic that's killing thousands of Americans.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

psypher wrote:There was no question. He just straight up walked up and started talking crazy. Look, if it was a bunch of guys at a bar eating shit, and one of them said something stupid, then was called out on it, he could possibly get away with bullshitting his way out saying it was a joke or he was being sarcastic and you'd drink another beer and let it slide. But this is the President of the United States and I hate how many "Americans" brush it off as if it's ok. No it's not fucking ok. The President of the United States is the most powerful, most respected person of power in the world. It actually means something, or at least used to. Want to make jokes, be sarcastic? Go do that with your buddies at a bar, not in front of the world during a Presidential conference about a pandemic that's killing thousands of Americans.
But what do you expect? The nation elected a businessman who is VERY MUCH not a politician and has never been a very "serious" person when it comes to how he speaks. He has no filter.
I'm not sure Pence is a better option. People on the Left hate Trump but yet Pence is even more ultra conservative and very much against many thing the Left likes.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

They're saying this thing might end up, after all the real numbers are known, having a similar death rate to the seasonal flu.
I don't know how that could be possible. Flu deaths in 2017-2018 (a very bad flu season) was 80k. Year before was 56k. Last year was 61k.

We're already on track to beat the 2017-2018 flu.

We're at 51k deaths now, and even if the entire US is at the peak (and that's debatable) that means we will likely lose another 51k this year (it's a curve).

And that's WITH all the social distancing, stay at home, etc we've done.

We can already see from countries that decided to just say fuck it, the numbers could have been much worse.

And this all assumes some of these states opening up early don't have a a second wave.

Like I mentioned before, this is sounding like the people who all think that Y2K was a waste of time and money because it ended up being not so bad, which ignores all the work that we put into making sure it wasn't all that bad.

And there are pretty strict federal guidelines for reporting Covid and Flu deaths. So if you want to question Covid deaths, you'll need to question the flu numbers too.

darcy

Post by darcy »

psypher wrote: There was no question. He just straight up walked up and started talking crazy. Look, if it was a bunch of guys at a bar eating shit, and one of them said something stupid, then was called out on it, he could possibly get away with bullshitting his way out saying it was a joke or he was being sarcastic and you'd drink another beer and let it slide. But this is the President of the United States and I hate how many "Americans" brush it off as if it's ok. No it's not fucking ok. The President of the United States is the most powerful, most respected person of power in the world. It actually means something, or at least used to. Want to make jokes, be sarcastic? Go do that with your buddies at a bar, not in front of the world during a Presidential conference about a pandemic that's killing thousands of Americans.
Word.
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:
I don't know how that could be possible. Flu deaths in 2017-2018 (a very bad flu season) was 80k. Year before was 56k. Last year was 61k.

We're already on track to beat the 2017-2018 flu.

We're at 51k deaths now, and even if the entire US is at the peak (and that's debatable) that means we will likely lose another 51k this year (it's a curve).

And that's WITH all the social distancing, stay at home, etc we've done.

We can already see from countries that decided to just say fuck it, the numbers could have been much worse.

And this all assumes some of these states opening up early don't have a a second wave.

Like I mentioned before, this is sounding like the people who all think the Y2K was a waste of time and money because it ended up being not so bad, which ignores all the work that we put into making sure it wasn't all that bad.

And there are pretty strict federal guidelines for reporting Covid and Flu deaths. So if you want to question Covid deaths, you'll need to question the flu numbers too.
As it is sadly for all of humankind. The ignorant complain about over reactions, over preparing, when an event that you have absolutely no control of or understanding of ends up not being severe enough. The next time, they throw their hands up in the air and call it bullshit. Then the hurricane comes and swallows their lives and they all cry about why we didn't prepare. Why does something have to be severe enough to make someone believe the measures taken are worth it? In this case, the most serious result is death. What kind of human being believes that the number of deaths needs to be at a certain level before they are ok with protective measures? How many people a day dying would be satisfactory? Apparently, 2500+ a day isn't enough, or even 7000. 10K? 25K? 50K? Is that seriously what it would take? At some point, it doesn't matter because by then it's too late.

Why are diseases and viruses that we have enough understanding of, know how to deal with, have vaccines and treatments for, that have been studied for years/decades continue to be brought up in comparison to something new that we've only been dealing with a few months? It's like the people that use heart attacks, car crashes, drownings, shootings, that happen every day and we don't make as big a deal about those. Could it be the fact that none of those are contagious? Nah, that would just be silly.

And for the record, I wish all business were open again. Financial hardships will be extremely destructive to a families, communities, our entire way of life. If we could count on everyone sticking to guidelines and being cautious, it would be great. But lets me real here, stupid people have always and will always do stupid shit and their ain't a dam thing anyone can do about it. Unfortunately they all live around us and there's no way the rest of us can avoid them, except maybe stay home.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Here's the dilemma:

We're choosing between two septuagenarians, both with some absent mindedness, and tendency to forget or misuse words.

One has a history of listening to briefings, reading supporting materials, accepting advise and suggestions from his cabinet and experts, practices and rehearses a prepared speech so that he sounds like he means it, knows how to delegate authority, and looks and acts like the leader of the most powerful nation on the planet.

The other thinks he's smarter than everyone else on the planet, in all matters, scoffs at advise from experts, fires those that disagree with him, surrounds himself with yes men, has a fragile ego, reads speeches cold with an air of disinterest, gives off the cuff advise that is sometimes ill-informed, sometimes bat-shit crazy, sometimes dangerous, has no idea how to delegate authority, and looks and acts like PT Barnum on Vicodin.

You decide. Just another part of the Darwin Awards Grand Prix Challenge we're all participating in this year. :)