WTF?

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: WTF?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Even aliening a stalwart supporter with that tweet:

Citing Election Delay Tweet, Influential Trump Ally Now Demands His Re-Impeachment
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/31/89772419 ... impeachmen
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

So will mysterious mail trucks full of Dem votes show up in strange places like ballot boxes do?.. Asking for a friend.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Key Keeper wrote:So will mysterious mail trucks full of Dem votes show up in strange places like ballot boxes do?.. Asking for a friend.
Yes, because it's physically impossible for Republicans to vote by mail. Apparently our mail gets shredded.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Yes, we're all stubbornly set in our ways and still choose to hangout with each other. ;)

The fraud happens and there's been a couple of stories in the news lately of arrests. It's too easy, especially where one case was a mail courier who was tampering with them.
Here's a sampling I found of fraud cases. It happens by both sides of course. Absentee ballots are too easy to mess with once they're out of our hands.

Someone posted a funny but honest question: If you won the PowerBall for millions of dollars, would you mail in your ticket or show up in person? Why? Probably the same reason why you'd vote in person.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whiteh ... dcases.pdf

The number of issues we've had with mail-in ballots is eye-opening and I didn't realize how bad it was until recently with all the arguing over mail-in ballots. I don't trust the USPS to get my ballot in on time and this list here is pretty damning. Mail mysteriously disappearing and conveniently showing up too late to be counted. ;)
http://www.iiisci.org/journal/CV$/sci/pdfs/HPA468KX.pdf
------------------------------------------

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

and more: https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ter-system

https://themarketswork.com/2018/10/31/i ... n-problem/

Everyone should be voting on election day on paper ballots, and have to present an ID with a picture that is NOT given to non-citizens. All ballots have a unique ID number, and a stub you take with you that has it, so you can check your anonymous vote online and see that they were correctly tallied. Make it a national holiday, provide ID free of charge for poor people. Set up a system allowing overseas personnel to vote on election day too. It's bullshit that we have elections that you cannot put any faith in having accurate results.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Executioner wrote:and more: https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ter-system

https://themarketswork.com/2018/10/31/i ... n-problem/

Everyone should be voting on election day on paper ballots, and have to present an ID with a picture that is NOT given to non-citizens. All ballots have a unique ID number, and a stub you take with you that has it, so you can check your anonymous vote online and see that they were correctly tallied. Make it a national holiday, provide ID free of charge for poor people. Set up a system allowing overseas personnel to vote on election day too. It's bullshit that we have elections that you cannot put any faith in having accurate results.
What about absentee ballots which Trump, Pence, etc... all say are perfectly fine? They all vote via absentee ballots.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

While I agree we should go back to paper ballots, a lot of this mail in ballot scare is FUD. The only real concern is overloading the postal service.

Keep in mind 70% of the armed forces mail in their votes and that's never been a problem. as I pointed out previously, generally Republicans benefit from mail in voting more than Democrats although this year might be a little different with Covid. Probably more of a balance.

Early voting is also a good solution. We have early voting here and that's what I always do. It's less crowded to spread it out over 3 weeks ahead of the election. I haven't actually voted on election day in 20 years.

I am for sure going to vote in person this year I don't know about my wife. I requested mail in ballots for my wife and my dad who's 97. Too many stories about mailing ballots being trashed for bad signatures or because they showed up a day late so I'd rather go vote in person if I can.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Ive never trusted the whole electric voting machines with WIFI....

Pulpit for the dem is Russinz and China tampering with election....yet they push mail in and put all faith into little voting boxes with wifi....

Paper votes is the only way to go.

If we can go to walmart, costco, HEB, brookshires.....out to dinner....trips, why the heck cant we go out to vote? Social distance, wear a mask right? if it works for commerce, why wouldnt it work for in person voting?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Because there's legitimate reasons some people wouldn't want to go to a crowded room full of people right now and stand in line for an hour. My father is 97 and he hasn't left the house in months except for a couple of Doctors visits. No way I'm taking him to vote. My wife is undecided.

Mail in voting is secure if done properly. I request a ballot, and that ballot has a serial number and it's assigned to me. No one else can use it. If the signature or name is wrong it gets thrown out. If a duplicate comes in, they both get thrown out. If I vote in person and the paper ballot gets sent in, the paper ballot is thrown out.

It's not like this is something new. A lot of people in Florida use mail in ballots due to our high number of retirees.

My issue is that they tend to get TOO picky about mail in ballots (and rightly so). We have thousands rejected because the signature is not a perfect match. I'd rather go in person where they're relying on my ID.

Realistically there is going to need to be more mail in ballots this time, but I suspect the majority of people will still vote in person.

As I said before, we have early voting here and it's never crowded. I don't understand why every state doesn't have early voting.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

So it's curious that now Trump says it's safe to vote mail in, but only in Florida. Guess someone on his staff told him that the vast majority of his voters in Florida are retirees who normally use mail in even without Covid, and that Florida is a must-win state for him.

Hmmm.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:So it's curious that now Trump says it's safe to vote mail in, but only in Florida. Guess someone on his staff told him that the vast majority of his voters in Florida are retirees who normally use mail in even without Covid, and that Florida is a must-win state for him.

Hmmm.
Lol yup, but you won't see any of the people that just regurgitate the illogical non-sense about "voter fraud" say anything.

"Mail in votes lead to fraud. Absentee voting is perfectly fine and secure". It's literally the same dam thing.

"Well um, absentee voting leads to fraud". Well, any party can abuse it, it's not like only one party could "stuff fake votes" in the ballot.

"I only trust paper ballots" Um, Absentee/Mail in votes are on paper (even faxed in some cases). Besides, your paper ballot could still be thrown in the trash later.

If you don't trust/believe in absentee/mail in votes, then you're saying you don't trust any of the votes by politicians who use absentee ballots.

And worse, it's not good enough for all the men and women, who fight for this country risking their lives that use absentee ballots to vote. Essentially they are fighting and dying for a country in which their voice doesn't count, because their votes are fraud.

Voter fraud will always been an issue, regardless of what systems are put in place. There will always be someone trying to game the system either illegally or legally. When it comes to power, there will always be people that want to abuse it.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's also another argument for keeping the electoral college system. Sure, a popular vote SOUNDS better (I thought so for a while), but then you need to listen to the experts who say that would make it easier to mess with an election.

The system we have forces each state to independently administer and count their votes. Any idea of a nationwide "rigged vote" is absurd. You would have to rig the vote in dozens of states (and, even harder, dozens of individual counties/parishes as each one administers their own local voting and submits it to the state). This is why both parties spend so much of their efforts in "gerrymandering" districts. It's the only way they can influence the vote on a major scale, but even then it only affects one district.

Unlike in the movies there is no one federal database that tabulates the votes. Each state reports their votes, county by county, and it's very publicly done.

No, as I said, mail in ballots can be done safely. The GOP can make a valid argument that with Covid, it MIGHT overwhelm the post office in some areas, which is why if you're going to mail in your ballot, you should mail it in as early as you can. You don't want to wait for the last minute.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

President's in Cleveland today claiming Biden is as powerful as Kratos.

"No Religion. No anything. Hurt the Bible. Hurt God. He's [Biden] against God. He's against guns. He's against Energy. . ."
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

WTF? is right.

AIDE: If you go off script, just say Biden is Godless.

TRUMP: Got it.