At the risk of pissing off my liberal friends, I have no problem with Trump picking a third Supreme court justice

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

At the risk of pissing off my liberal friends, I have no problem with Trump picking a third Supreme court justice

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Sure, as a left of center moderate independent, I'd prefer a more balanced court, and it's a pity RBG couldn't hold out a bit longer but:

- Amy Coney Barrett Is by far not the worst person Trump could have picked. She has solid credentials. I personally would have preferred the Cuban judge from Miami (being Cuban myself). I'm actually surprised Trump didn't pick her. I'm sure his campaign people were pushing for her because it would have probably given him a bump with Latino voters. But Trump does what Trump does.

- Being a conservative justice, nominated by a Republican President is no guarantee on how they're going to rule ln a case. We've already seen Roberts and Kavanaugh vote with liberal justices. Justices are SUPPOSED to interpret law, and they generally take that pretty seriously. Your personal feelings aren't supposed influence you. Sure we're all human, but remember once you're a justice you're a justice for life. You can't be fired. There's zero incentive to please the President who nominated you, and actually Trump may be working against himself by bragging he 'owns' his justices. Those justices are going to feel a lot of pressure not to look like they're his tools.

- People who bitch about 'fairness' and hypocrisy' are deluding themselves. This is about POWER pure and simple. The party in power does what they want. If roles were reversed: if there was a Dem president and a Dem controlled senate, with the chance to place a justice on the court five weeks before the election, I guarantee you they'd do it.

'nuff said
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

psypher
Golden Member

Re: At the risk of pissing off my liberal friends, I have no problem with Trump picking a third Supreme court justice

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Sure, as a left of center moderate independent, I'd prefer a more balanced court, and it's a pity RBG couldn't hold out a bit longer but:

- Amy Coney Barrett Is by far not the worst person Trump could have picked. She has solid credentials. I personally would have preferred the Cuban judge from Miami (being Cuban myself). I'm actually surprised Trump didn't pick her. I'm sure his campaign people were pushing for her because it would have probably given him a bump with Latino voters. But Trump does what Trump does.

- Being a conservative justice, nominated by a Republican President is no guarantee on how they're going to rule ln a case. We've already seen Roberts and Kavanaugh vote with liberal justices. Justices are SUPPOSED to interpret law, and they generally take that pretty seriously. Your personal feelings aren't supposed influence you. Sure we're all human, but remember once you're a justice you're a justice for life. You can't be fired. There's zero incentive to please the President who nominated you, and actually Trump may be working against himself by bragging he 'owns' his justices. Those justices are going to feel a lot of pressure not to look like they're his tools.

- People who bitch about 'fairness' and hypocrisy' are deluding themselves. This is about POWER pure and simple. The party in power does what they want. If roles were reversed: if there was a Dem president and a Dem controlled senate, with the chance to place a justice on the court five weeks before the election, I guarantee you they'd do it.

'nuff said

I feel the same. I would like to believe that a judge who has a strong belief in their religion, would understand what it means to believe in something. As a judge, especially at the Supreme Court level, I would expect them to also have a strong belief in the US Constitution. That is after all why they are there. It's better to have someone who believes in something, than nothing at all.

I only laugh and the idiots who used "the next president should pick" back when Obama tried to fill a seat, instead of just flat out saying, we control the senate and we say no. End of discussion. You can decide when you control the senate.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: At the risk of pissing off my liberal friends, I have no problem with Trump picking a third Supreme court justice

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I had a cousin of mine express outrage when I mentioned this to her the other day. She said she couldn't imagine a worse pick for Supreme Court Justice than Amy Coney Barrett.

I then politely reminded her that Ted Cruz was on Trump's potential list of nominees he released two weeks ago.

That shut her up... :)
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Elections have consequences. All the folks who threw a tantrum and stayed home because they didn't choose Bernie, all the folks who voted for Stein (Russian Asset), and all the folks who voted for Trump to "send the Democratic Party a Message (Never Hillary) are now seeing the results of their actions. The Democrats are their own worst enemies.

Trump has every right to put forth a candidate. The Senate will vote and confirm her before the election. I'd rather have a moderate. RBG could've retired at the beginning of Obama's second term instead of holding out as long as she did and recommended a replacement.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I think what liberals are concerned about is the overturning of Roe vs Wade. I hope that decision remains untouched. There are more pressing issues than going back to that 70's decision.
I agree with Err - RBG should have retired under Obama since she knew her health was an issue.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Executioner wrote:I think what liberals are concerned about is the overturning of Roe vs Wade.
Even if we had more conservative judges, I don't see them ever turning over R vs W. I think it's just a scare tactic that the Left loves to throw out there to make people think that the SCOTUS will just snap their fingers and change everything. They're not Thanos, FFS. LOL
------------------------------------------

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Err wrote:Elections have consequences. All the folks who threw a tantrum and stayed home because they didn't choose Bernie, all the folks who voted for Stein (Russian Asset), and all the folks who voted for Trump to "send the Democratic Party a Message (Never Hillary) are now seeing the results of their actions. The Democrats are their own worst enemies.

Trump has every right to put forth a candidate. The Senate will vote and confirm her before the election. I'd rather have a moderate. RBG could've retired at the beginning of Obama's second term instead of holding out as long as she did and recommended a replacement.
During his 2nd term, the senate was controlled by Republicans. Unfortunately she was diagnosed in 2009, which was when the Democrats controlled the Senate. So she would have had to announce her retirement within a short timeframe. No one thinks they are going to die right away.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Two words:

Lame duck