has anyone noticed

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
Shadow250
Golden Member

has anyone noticed

Post by Shadow250 »

they are using the popular vote again to try to predict the election? in 2016 trump won easily because they were assuming the winner in the state gets all of the electoral votes. that was not the case, as many states divided them to the candidate that each district voted for. if you look at the state maps you will see that there is a lot of red in them excluding the cities. i mean it could turn a win into crushing defeat.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: has anyone noticed

Post by Executioner »

What is interesting again are polling numbers - off again. I guess most states is winner take all.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Yes. I believe it's only 2 states that are not winner take all.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This is the first year I actually stayed up and watched election coverage and started to really understand the way that the electoral votes work. It's quite fascinating.

I spent the night flipping back and forth between MSNBC and Fox News. Ironically, Fox's coverage had less opinion (until a couple of people from The Five stopped in for an hour and crapped it up). I wasn't in the mood for political opinion from either side, I just wanted the results and dry analysis. So I flipped back and forth whenever they started talking bullshit.

There was a lot of opinion on MSNBC but they had a much better touch screen display (I think they were both using Microsoft Surface panels?) and the guy doing the numbers is a numbers geek who was very good. His display could show direct comparisons of the numbers per state or county for this and previous years at the same time.

Poor Bill Hemmer on Fox did a pretty good job, but his panel could not do direct comparisons (I guess Fox didn't pay for the option package?). So he had to flip back and forth and tell the audience to 'remember those numbers'.

I found it interesting that Fox called Arizona for Biden very early - like around 9pm. I think they called it before they called Texas for Trump which is another story. Heck even this morning the AP is saying Arizona is too close to call, but Fox still says it's for Biden.

That single split vote in Nebraska for Biden changed everything. It opened a path to 270 with one less state.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I've been keeping up on the results here:https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2 ... -coverage/

I didn't watch much coverage on election night other than see how My county and State voted. I knew Biden would lose Ohio but I was surprised that my county voted Trump over Biden 2.5 to 1. Of course I live in the bellybutton of the Bible Belt.