With hospitals slammed by covid-19, doctors and nurses plead for action by governors

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

With hospitals slammed by covid-19, doctors and nurses plead for action by governors

Post by FlyingPenguin »

See, this is the real problem, all of you who think wearing a mask is a personal rights issue. Sure, it's only a 3% mortality rate (lower now with the treatments we've developed), but the danger is that the medical system is collapsing under the load.

We're lucky in this area that our numbers are low, but our hospitals are now getting non covid emergency overflows from Orlando hospitals.

My wife has surgery scheduled for late January, and we've already been warned that it's likely it'll have to be delayed because by then, they may have to shut down all elective surgeries again.

Wear a damn mask. Stay home this Christmas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/d ... story.html
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: With hospitals slammed by covid-19, doctors and nurses plead for action by governors

Post by Losbot »

They might be slammed because they choose to not look at what others are doing. I was just speaking last night to one of the doctors that appears regularly on Newsmax and he shared what they're doing down here at Broward Health and because of it, they're able to send most people home to follow a medication treatment. He told us that there were currently just 6 people in ICU. Others recovering fine at home. PSC Florida (Pulmonary & Sleep Consultants) has a Covid 19 protocol they're following, which he forwarded to us:

ICON protocol for COVID 19:
⦁ Ivermectin 200 mcg/kg orally on day 1 and 2. May redosed on day 8 and 9, 15, 22, and 29 as needed if patients remain symptomatic.
⦁ Doxycycline 100 mg orally twice daily for 5 days or azithromycin 250 mg orally daily for 5 days if unable to take doxycycline.
⦁ Vitamin C 1000 mg twice daily.
⦁ Vitamin D3 1000 units daily.
⦁ Zinc sulfate 220 mg daily or 50 mg of elemental zinc daily.
⦁ Famotidine 20 mg twice daily.
⦁ Atorvastatin 40 mg daily.
⦁ If hypoxic dexamethasone 6 mg daily for 10 days.
⦁ If mildly hypoxic, will need supplemental oxygen at home.
⦁ If D dimer elevated, will need anticoagulation.
⦁ If more severe and requires hospitalization, will consider convalescent plasma transfusion x2 and remdesivir with or without baricitinib.

https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0 ... 4/fulltext
------------------------------------------

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: With hospitals slammed by covid-19, doctors and nurses plead for action by governors

Post by Losbot »

Also, I firmly believe everyone will be exposed. It's just a matter of time. This is going to be like the flu. Doctors are saying the people who had it can get it again because the antibodies apparently wear off after like 6 months. So the vaccine will be the same thing. You get it and you're good for 6 months? I guess you have to keep getting constantly, like the flu shot?

(Sounds like a great revenue stream for Big Pharma)

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The hope, as I understand it, is to eventually work it into the flu shot, when they come out with a more standard vaccine that's compatible with the flu shot. All these early ones are special RNA based vaccines. Traditional vaccines take a few years to develop.

I'm glad your hospital has a nice stay at home procedure, but the point is that a certain percentage of patients WILL need long term hospitalization. The more that get sick, the more that tie up hospital ICUs.

The goal is to keep the hospitals from getting overwhelmed.

We're in relatively good shape here my area, right now, but as I said we're picking up surrounding overflow.

And things in major hotspots, like Texas, are grim.

Not to mention, the additional problem that a certain number of nurses and doctors will be exposed and have to quarantine. It's unavoidable, until we have a vaccine (and why, they need to be the first ones to get it).

And ultimately, ask any ER or ICU nurse in a hotspot right now, and they'll tell you that physically and psychologically they can't take much more.

It's not like it's just us. Things are pretty grim right now all over the world.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I understand that. One of my closest friends is an ER Doc.

I don't like the idea of mixing that into the flu shot. I don't like mixed vaccines like that because those concoctions don't always react well to some patients. I'd prefer they keep things simple. You want to avoid the flu, then get a flu shot. Want a Covid shot, get that separate. Same way I don't like the MMR vaccine. I believe some kids don't react well to have 3 things injected at once. They used to administer individual vaccines but doctors don't want to offer it. It's still an option but I'm guessing it's cheaper for them to buy the cocktail.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's possible it won't be practical to combine them. The fact that covid vaccines (so far) all seem to require a 2nd shot may force it to be a separate shot.

Shadow250
Golden Member

Post by Shadow250 »

odd that heartburn and cholesterol meds are listed.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Los Angeles County ambulance crews told to ration oxygen amid surge in COVID-19 cases: report
https://www.foxnews.com/health/la-count ... als-report

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:It's possible it won't be practical to combine them. The fact that covid vaccines (so far) all seem to require a 2nd shot may force it to be a separate shot.
You're correct. Currently, they can't be combined due to storage temperatures. The Flu shot can be stored in a refrigerator but the COVID shot is kept at -80 C or colder until just before use. The shots are also made very differently. With Flu, you're typically getting Influenza Antigen or Killed Virus. These are very stable and can last a very long time. The COVID vaccine is modified RNA. Its make up isn't stable for more than a few days. I'm sure this brings up the question of how it works if it's so unstable. It doesn't need to last long. It just needs to last long enough to induce an immune response. After the initial response, another dose is given to bolster the first response.

However, there's a chance the COVID shot could be stored at refrigerated temperatures if they lyophilize it (fancy freeze drying). Then the shot could be reconstituted just before giving it to the patient. I suspect better storage is possible but we didn't have time to perfect the formula needed to lyophilize it or the cycle needed to freeze it so it doesn't loose effectiveness. I work in a facility that uses lyophilization for proteins and such. We don't make therapeutics, only tests. Sometimes you get lucky and the product you froze works perfectly. Sometimes you have to figure out how much effectiveness was lost and the add a bit more starting material to make up for the loss. With our current need for the vaccine, they probably don't have the material to waste on a study. It would probably require a new trial too.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Shadow250 wrote:
odd that heartburn and cholesterol meds are listed.
Not necessarily since there's lots of meds that are given for some primary reason but have some other benefits as well.

BTW, I just spoke on Monday to the Dr that sent me that list and his family caught Covid. He administered the Ivermectin & other items to his wife and kids. All cleared up in no time he said. No issues.