An update from 'Pillow Guy's' Security Conference

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

An update from 'Pillow Guy's' Security Conference

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Comedy gold...
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: An update from 'Pillow Guy's' Security Conference

Post by Losbot »

I don't know about whether or not they use quantum computing but if something's owned by the Chinese and it's a security-related product, I don't think I'd want to use it regardless.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

First off, no proof that ExpressVPN is owned by the Chinese.

But this guy's point was, if you are the VPN, and you are unscrupulous, you can see all your own traffic (thus why you need to trust your VPN). You don't need a fictitious (they really don't exist yet) and (presumably) expensive Quantum Computer to decrypt your own traffic. Thus this so-called data scientist is a moron.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

OK, wait. I thought I read that IBM has a quantum computer, or at least that's what they're calling it.

And personally I believe the Chinese own a lot more of us than we might think. They've got this country right where they want it and could stick it to us pretty badly.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Quantum computers, even IBM's, are still in the laboratory stage. They're not on the market yet. There are still some massive obstacles to overcome to making them work as a practical commercial device.

They can flip a few cubits, but no one even has a working framework for the computational functionality since no one knows exactly what line of research is going to win out.