Shady: Why would anyone pay $500,000 for a painting by Hunter Biden?

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
Losbot
Almighty Member

Shady: Why would anyone pay $500,000 for a painting by Hunter Biden?

Post by Losbot »

Who parts with that much cash for the work of a new, not exactly critically acclaimed, painter? We may never know. Hunter’s new career raises obvious ethical issues for his father and, in an attempt to avoid accusations of influence peddling, the Biden administration has asked the gallerist to keep all information about the buyers and prices of Hunter’s work confidential. The gallery has also agreed to reject offers that seem suspiciously generous.

Seems to me that anything over $100 would seem shady. He's a nobody in the art world and his father is the POTUS. Hmmmmm...... :scratch

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nter-biden
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Shady: Why would anyone pay $500,000 for a painting by Hunter Biden?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hunter is definitely cashing in on who his Dad is, and art critics are saying they'd be surprised if he gets anything like the prices he's asking.

The important thing is that the Biden administration is going to great lengths to avoid any impression of impropriety. More than Trump did when people were staying at his hotel, or using it's restaurant, to get an audience.

Hunter is free to sell his over priced paintings. Billy Carter was free to hawk his Billy Beer. Nixon's brother got a loan from Howard Hughes (before he was president), and the Bush brothers were up to their necks in sleazy deals with rich pals of Bush Sr, while he was president.

Long line of presidential moochers.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Most art is just a money laundering scam.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You got that right.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Pugsley wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:29 am Most art is just a money laundering scam.
Just like this guy: https://brobible.com/culture/article/ar ... sculpture/
Italian artist Salvatore Garau recently sold an “immaterial sculpture” – also known as air – for $18,300.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The guy needs to double down and sell an NFT for that :)

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:38 pm The important thing is that the Biden administration is going to great lengths to avoid any impression of impropriety.
But how is keeping the buyers names confidential going to help with that? Seems to be the opposite.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If the admin doesn't know who bought the paintings, then how can any favors be made to the buyers?

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I think they're more concerned with keeping it from the public. The purchaser could always step forward and reveal himself to the Bidens or they could simply tell someone to go big "x" amount on one of his craps of art. LOL