I'm not a brain on stock or politics

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

I'm not a brain on stock or politics

Post by reno »

but with the big push to have all of the cars and appliances switch .from national gas and gasoline and less use of oil and other fuels . Im wondering how much money do are politician's have personal invested in Electrical company's . also how do they think are electrical grit can handle all the extra demand .we do have Nuclear power ,Hydroelectric power and the latest - Solar power panels just coming into play. and some wind power .
but with most are power coming from Coal-fired power plants. Diesel-fired power plants. Gas-fired power plants -and a small amount coming from Geothermal power plants. ....
we are seeing solar investment as no.1 right now . no.2 as wind power . but people are not wanting a Nuclear plant in there back yard and they generate the most power per square building ft. best chance of being able to generate enough power meet tomorrows demand .

the other part of all this conversion to electric power car that get me . who willing to accept all the spent battery's when there life is done . we here about swapping them in cars. but what are they doing with the old ones after there swap out, today only from what I have read like 4 % of old battery's are recyclable today .the rest end up in land fills . that falls in line to the % of stuff that collected as recyclable today in the USA. its all a head game were getting played on right now . I have seen it first hand were truck loads of recycle trash. is driven back into the dump and just dump with the trash . then it's just covered over .this has been at multiple different dumps in many states . :(
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: I'm not a brain on stock or politics

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Interesting chart here when I started looking up the percentages:
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=21

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

the chart is very interesting and makes one wonder how is the move to electric car /truck and electric appliances also new use's of rechargeable goods. some of them not even develop yet, going to tax the electric grit . even in ten years we don't foresee much change in the fuels used to generate power or volume of power plants . sure they be some power plants of all kinds maybe as high as 30 % solar and 60 % fasil fuel by then. then also keep in mind the building boom and inflex of population coming into the USA . (not like people are fleeing the USA ) IM sure we fine some clear ways to generate power . but to find a truly clean way to generate power that will be epic. we come a long way in the 100 years so its possible but highly unlikely.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Speaking of which, was reading about a new form of energy storage. Right now the best energy storage system for renewables is water (pump uphill during the day, runs downhill to turn generators when power is needed).

They built a proof of concept last year, and now they're deploying a working facility.

This method uses compressible CO2 gas to store the energy, which is very efficient and takes up a small footprint:
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/co2-bat ... -the-cost/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Just saw a video comparing a Tesla to a BMW, as to which car creates more CO2.
The manufacture of the Tesla created more carbon and it wasn't until after almost 40K miles, that the Tesla then finally was cleaner than the BMW. Of course most people lease them so after that, they get a new Tesla and dump all that CO2 into the atmosphere again, with their new purchase.
Also, depending on where you live, the Tesla would have to be driven many more miles to break even. Some states like Wisconsin (over 40% of their electricity is from coal) are bad for Tesla because you're burning coal to recharge your car.
It also did not take into account the effect that all that strip mining has on the planet.

We need better battery tech and those batteries need to charge faster. One of the videos of the new Ford Lightning, showed it estimating 2.5hrs to get to 80% from dead at a roadside charger.
------------------------------------------