2021 Tax Refund

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

2021 Tax Refund

Post by reno »

got to love the IRS - we mailed in are 2021 Filings in march and still not got a refund ! was talking to friends this last week who did the same as us . there still waiting for a refund to . you try checking online and its a joke no info to be found . there no phone no to call the IRS to talk to live person . we do know we will get interest on are refund when it ever arrives . it's not like we did a long form it was a simple tax filing for us this year . this is already August and still waiting . it was the wife who didn't want to pay the extra to efile . one of those time's were not worth a argument over at the time ! the last thing to do right now is say to her ( I told you so ) :bang
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: 2021 Tax Refund

Post by Losbot »

My tax preparer is a former IRS employee and she told me her contacts said that anything being done via regular mail is delayed. She said they're months behind on paperwork. I've been taking care of a few things and it's averaging 6 months between mailings from them (only because I can't do it electronically). Ridiculous.

Only good thing about it is that it allows us for more time since they're so behind.
------------------------------------------

reno

Post by reno »

wife just recheck the site now it said 6 months and were not in there system yet so who the hell knows when it show up . but the other way around they want there money like yesterday @
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Been filing electronically, through my CPA, for years, despite my initial misgivings about it. Yeah, they can just do those faster because the data entry is already done for them. Think about. If you send paper forms, they have to be scanned AND interpreted into some kind of database. That takes a lot of time. Most of this is done electronically now. A human rarely sees your forms unless the computers pick up some discrepancy.

It is actually in your best interest to file electronically nowadays, not just because of delays, but more importantly, bad scanning. Before most employers and brokerage firms filed 1099 forms electronically, I had several years where IRS scanners would misread forms. One year, I had to dispute the 1099 Misc from one of my clients, because the IRS scanner apparently missed the decimal point. In the copy of the form I received, the decimal point was obvious to human eyes, but in that case the IRS thought I had made $110 K, when I had actually made $1,000, and claimed I owed substantial back taxes and penalties, with interest. That first time was pretty scary, and I was chewing bullets for a couple of months after filing a dispute, waiting for a reply.

That time, and every time it's happened since, it worked out fine, but the scary letter you get from the IRS telling you that even if you believe it's in error, you should pay the back taxes while in dispute, to avoid even higher penalties and interest, makes for stomach wrenching nights. Even my CPA recommended I go ahead and pay while waiting for a resolution, but I was damned if I was going to give the IRS a 5 figure payout over an obvious scanner error.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah the wife and I do electronic filing only. Been doing for years. I don't trust mailing something important like tax papers in the mail as they can be stolen and look at all the information the scumbag will have.

I once had an issue with the IRA in the early 80's, because I had changed jobs 3 times in that year. Apparently they got confused on what I made and said I had back taxes due. So I had to mail them start and end dates of each job. After sending them the information, I never heard anything back from the SOB's.
reno

Post by reno »

sure wishing the wife had did electronic filed . tomorrow will be Oct.31st and still no refund that 6 months and 10 days from the last day to file . we do get when checking on there site now there processing are return , total BS if you ask me but . but what can we say we let the wife handle the tax filing ..
will see if they pay interest do to the delay will keep you all informed .
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Damn!
------------------------------------------