Steam Stats

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
Executioner
Life Member

Steam Stats

Post by Executioner »

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steam ... 1363928453

Bummer they did not have stats on the OS being used, or the future of Steam OS.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: Steam Stats

Post by Genom »

Having recently been testing this on my laptop, I will say, SteamOS games are indeed smooth. Because he stuck to the client only, he does kind of ignore the fact that most PC games can be made to run in Linux through Wine/Crossover. Performance does suffer, depending on the game some more than others, but it does increase the number of games that are playable significantly. Also the systems/programs to do this have gotten very automated and easy.

For example, battle.net and wow are "experimental" but I just had to install a client, click on a website link, and it handled the battle.net install and wrapper setup. From there, installing WoW within the battle.net app ran like normal, and 20 minutes later I was playing WoW. That said, FPS was about half what I see in Windows at 2560x1440 and Nvidia support in Linux is spotty since they dont have open source drivers.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I haven't tried any games on Linux Mint yet, as I have it installed on a spare laptop to get use to the OS. I've heard pros and cons for gaming in Linux, so I don't think its there yet, BUT it's a lot better than it was 5 years ago.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I tried SteamOS and Solar Linux and it was about the same. Non Steam games are a little better on SteamOS probably due to tweaked Nvidia driver settings.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm just bummed out that Ubisoft will not be releasing The Division 2 through Steam. Ugh!