NieR: Automata PC Technical Review

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

NieR: Automata PC Technical Review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Much as I was looking forward to this game, this guy brings up some technical issues on the PC that make me hesitate. I'm leaving it in my wish list for now.

This is only a tech review. He's doing a full review later, but he has already played it through on the PS4 and he says the visuals on the PC don't compare. I also don't like that you can't re-bind the mouse buttons.
Depressingly, NieR: Automata is a port rather than a full-fledged PC version, and right now it’s a bit tricky to recommend. Performance is lower than expected (and problematic if you’re on the lower end of the specs), scaleables are limited, and the controls are… interesting. Twin-stick bits aside, it might be a case of just getting used to them, but I’m going to need more time to figure that one out.

If you have a solid system, a controller, and are lucky enough that you don’t hit any of the issues I’ve seen reported online – ranging from crashes, the 900p rendering, and performance issues on computers that shouldn’t have performance issues – then there’s little reason to opt for the console version over this. For now, though, I’d wait for a patch at the very least, because the truth is this isn’t anywhere near where it should be.

Our full review of NieR: Automata will be coming soon, and I’ll be playing through the game with mouse and keyboard. Wish me luck.
https://www.pcinvasion.com/nier-automat ... cal-review
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: NieR: Automata PC Technical Review

Post by Err »

I bought it for PS4 and runs fine with only minor hitching during area transitions. It sucks that the PC port is bad right now. In my opinion, you're a bit of a masochist if you choose to play this with a KB+M. You have to not only control your own character but there is also a pod you need to control. I prefer KB+M in most cases but 3rd person action games just feel better with a controller.

I hate that many won't get to enjoy this game. It's superbly weird. Hopefully the PC version will be patched. Remember that Steam has the 2 hour window. You will be able to get past the first section and into the open world bits in that time. If it doesn't run well, refund it.

This is Totalbiscuit's port report:

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

They rake it over the coals here too, but they provide a link to a hack that at least fixes the downscaling issue in fullscreen mode:

NieR- Automata – PC Performance Analysis - DSOGaming
http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance ... -analysis/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

You may want to wait on the first patch before buying. As much as I want everyone to play this game, I don't want anyone to have a bad time with it due to technical issues.

The rig dsogaming used shouldn't have any issues with this game. Something is broken with the port.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This is disappointing. Would like to buy the game someday, but it's absurd that you have to install a 3rd party patch to fix it. Not thrilled about supporting these people. I'm certainly not going to pay a premium price of $60 for a broken game. If it goes on sale that's another thing.

Despite Square Enix’s promises and after almost six months, NieR: Automata has not received any patch on the PC
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/despite-s ... on-the-pc/

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

That's really unfortunate and one of the reasons I got a PS4. I'm tired of shoddy PC ports. Nier is amazing and it really sucks that it's unplayable on PC for many without a fan patch.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Nier is 38% off today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/524220/NieRAutomata/

You'll definitely want a controller to play this. KB+M is going to be clunky. Make sure you set a timer so you don't go over 2 hours playtime. You should be able to get through the intro and into the first area. If the game is running like crap or crashing, I'd refund it and see if they patch it.

There is a guide on steam that has instructions for the FAR Mod and other tweaks: http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/di ... 192314908/
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Tempting. Might try it.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

NieR: Automata has not received a single PC patch in ten months, still suffers from mediocre PC control

Post by FlyingPenguin »

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I've pretty much sworn off ported games. Controls are never usable. This seems to be the case here. Sad.
Err
Life Member

Nier: Automata is finally getting a patch on Steam

Post by Err »

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/nier-a ... e-pc-patch
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hope they actually follow through. I'd still very much like to play this game.